1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Progress tonight. I got all the pieces cut for making two new back to back lounge seats.

IMG_2924.jpg

I also got the front half of my floor cut.

IMG_2921.jpg

The Arauco ply in my truck. Jas, can your 'burb do this? LOL

IMG_2920.jpg

I/O's, O/B's, FORD, Chevy.....it's all good.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What?

Put 4x8 sheet goods in the back?

Yup! No sweat!

Or...

Were you asking if I can put my seats down?

Cuz, I actually can't do that. I have waaaayyyyy too much carp in the back of my truck. Yours is uber clean compared to mine!

I usually just slide those big sheets right over top of the seats if I need to haul and I don't have my little trailer with me. Load and go baby!:D

Hey, looking good. Great progress man!:)

dozerII

Admiral

Got my transom epoxied together tonight. It took just under 1 quart of resin and hardener and some Cabosil to coat the two inside faces. Maybe tomorrow I will coat the outside.

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

My stringer angle where it meets the transom has a crack:

IMG_2667.jpg

So I had these bent up yesterday at a fab/weld shop close to home:

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

They will be bolted through just like the stringer is at the transom and then I will rivet them into the side of the stringer. Should be stronger than original as those plates of aluminum are 1/8" thick.

I am now considering (or going to) strip my hull of the old paint. If you scratch the paint with something sharp the paint comes off like very fine dust/powder. The bottom is very blotchy and I am thinking I would feel better If I take it down to bare aluminum and then have the painter zinc chromate it, prime/seal block it, then paint.

Alpheus recomended a good aircraft stripper, does anyone else have any good experience with stripping their hulls?

Okay Guys I can't believe we missed this, I went through this again and again, but the reason for the cracks is there is NO FACTORY INSTALLED TRANSOM BRACE. I have never seen an outboard version without one and none of the photos show one. With a boat this size and rated for probably at least a 140hp, it would tear the transome apart without one.
Glen

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Okay Guys I can't believe we missed this, I went through this again and again, but the reason for the cracks is there is NO FACTORY INSTALLED TRANSOM BRACE. I have never seen an outboard version without one and none of the photos show one. With a boat this size and rated for probably at least a 140hp, it would tear the transome apart without one.
Glen

What's a transom brace? Seems to me the force of my motor is pushing pretty straight in against 4 stringers? Wouldn't that be spreading the force out pretty well? I only had a couple small cracks from 30 years of use. I hardly think my transom was all torn up.

The splashwell also gets riveted to those braces and through bolted to the transom. Looks pretty strong to me.

It's rated for 240 hp, so I'm way under-powered. If I had to guess, the cracks were probably from the boat being trailered.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Knee brace I think would be the terminology. I believe the reason you don't have one as we all do.....is that your stringers are attached to the transom, thus acting as braces. Ours aren't.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Knee brace I think would be the terminology. I believe the reason you don't have one as we all do.....is that your stringers are attached to the transom, thus acting as braces. Ours aren't.

That makes sense to me.

sprintst

Commander

Man...you jumped right on that lumber and started work. :)

dozerII

Admiral

What's a transom brace? Seems to me the force of my motor is pushing pretty straight in against 4 stringers? Wouldn't that be spreading the force out pretty well? I only had a couple small cracks from 30 years of use. I hardly think my transom was all torn up.

The splashwell also gets riveted to those braces and through bolted to the transom. Looks pretty strong to me.

It's rated for 240 hp, so I'm way under-powered. If I had to guess, the cracks were probably from the boat being trailered.

Transom brace, Knee brace is the large heavy 45 deg brace that all outboard aluminum boats "I have seen" have that ties the transome stress to the keel. Some boats have one and some with three. I can't seem to find a phot of what I am refering to.
Glen

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Why we are talking about my lack of a knee brace?

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't read what EZ said, he's right you stringers probally are the brace. Another duh moment for me... I just posted the picture since dozer couldn't find one. Guess I should actually read.

BTW I love the Excursion that you have, really gets the job done!
Nice job on the wood cutting as well.

Enough with hyjacking YOUR own thread, sorry man :redface:...

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Why we are talking about my lack of a knee brace?

I know, right?

Guys could go over to my thread and talk about my lack of progress, lack of direction, lack of decision making skills, lack of OB, or even a presence of drain cleaner if they wanted to!

Sarcasm aside (sorry)....

Maybe no knee braces but your transom is directly connected to your stringers. Must be a cool V5 hull thing, eh!

Rock on!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I got a lot done over this long weekend. I put together my back to back seats with all that wood I cut up. My daughter spent most of Friday afternoon in the garage with me making seat bases.

She did a good job with the glue.

IMG_2953.jpg

Even better spreading it which kept my fingers from getting all sticky.

IMG_2956.jpg

And she had to sign it when it was done.

IMG_2957.jpg

After the third base she got a little bored with me and started playing with my scrap wood pile, which ended up with us making one of these.

IMG_3002.jpg

And today I allmost finished them. The corners still need to be rounded off and I have to affix the side that doesn't move. I used new hinges from Veada and SS t-nuts and SS screws and bolts. Once they are fully assembled I'll take them back apart and give them a coat of exoxy, along with the bird house.

IMG_3001.jpg

Continued....

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I also picked up my inner gunwall channels from the welder. He told me 2 hours @ 55/hour to do them, but when I picked them up it was only $60. There was about 20 small holes in each of them. They turned out great.

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

This week I hope to finish up the seats and get them epoxied next weekend. I get another long weekend next week and I hope to start working on getting the gunwalls back in.

sprintst

Commander

Cripes man. That didn't take long :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent work!:D:D

Looks like you did an ok job too DJ;)

Cheers buddy!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work. I can see this is going to be another top-notch restore.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well some exciting progress this weekend. Not quite as much as I hoped, for a 3 day weekend, but I spent most of Friday sleeping cause I must have caught some bug.

Got a new piece of vinyl on my new bow cross support:

IMG_3005.jpg

Got all the other support pieces in with lots of 4200 on the screws:

IMG_3007.jpg

Almost forgot the foam until my daughter says "what's this pink stuff for?" so she got to cut it out, it's construction foam they put on sills.

IMG_3009.jpg

Then got the new bow cover on and started working down the starboard side. The new pieces are exact duplicates of the old as far a rivet hole locations, so there was a lot of persuading the hull to conform to the tops so the holes would line up.

IMG_3010.jpg

And got all the way to the stern.

IMG_3011.jpg

I squeezed all those rivets by hand. The HF air rivet gun didn't seem to like the aluminum stems of the rivets. It seemed to slip, or I couldn't get the used stem out. I didn't mess with it too long, but I think when it slips the shavings clogged it up. We'll see how sore my hands are tomorrow.:D