1979 18' Starcraft SuperSport Restoration

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah very nice and a nice short list it is. :thumb:

I hear you on the wiring, nobody ever takes a nice clean pic from under their dash, only the fuse blocks ever look tidy and after that it gets ugly.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Everything is looking really great. Dash came out real nice.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great Job on the wiring ! I'd be happy with that for sure. It looks very good all around

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the encouragement.

Bow rails, registration numbers, terrible green NYS registration stickers, and Starcraft logos are all on:

LBOIWn2l.jpg

2ILBrPal.jpg

I polished the bow rails and bought all new fittings for it. The old fittings were chrome plated but the plating was coming off. These are stainless steel. iboats had them all. Part #s 289165-1, 2816001, 2926001, and 2916001. At about $10 per fitting I feel that it was well worth it.

Last edited:

Watermann

She's looking like some water under the hull is in her near future, she's going to look super out in the sun. :thumb:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
The bow rails look great. Good call on the new hardware, well worth it at that price.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She's looking like some water under the hull is in her near future, she's going to look super out in the sun. :thumb:
Yep, if I can get the lower unit put back together this weekend I should be able to take it for a test run. I started to do the impeller but had to stop when I found more broken parts that I needed to order. The joys of working on a 36 year old motor...

Watermann

Yep, if I can get the lower unit put back together this weekend I should be able to take it for a test run. I started to do the impeller but had to stop when I found more broken parts that I needed to order. The joys of working on a 36 year old motor...

Yeah it's a safe bet to always get the entire water pump kit and replace the whole thing at once. Parts are pretty cheap tho for the most part on the older motors or so I've found with mine.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yup, I just went through the very same thing with my 1985 Mercury 50HP outboard. Had I ordered the complete water pump kit at the beginning, I would have saved a bunch of time. And time can never be replaced. At least not with current technology! :lol:

PikeHunter431

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking fine as it comes together. I really like how your bow rails curve and bend down at the front. Did you bend them yourself?

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lower unit is back together. I still have a few things yet to do, but I couldn't resist the urge to take it for a test run.

It floats!

ALlnoXtl.jpg

It runs!

A few minor issues. I apparently did not set the switch on the back of the tach correctly, because it pegged out after I went any higher than about 1/2 throttle. I was going by the sticker on the tach and I thought it said position 1 for 4 cylinder motors, but reading the instructions just now I think I need position 5.

Motor does great above idle, but did stall at idle a few times once warmed up. I will tweak the idle adjustment screw and see how it does.

I was very happy to find a dry bilge after spending about an hour on the water.

So I guess this is "splashed" although I still need to
- Make cushions and backrests
- Install the rear seats
- Paint the outboard

Last edited:

Watermann

Wow! 2 Starmada splashes to see in one day! :pride: Boat looks great and she sure does cut a fine wake. :rockon:

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats on getting her wet. I just launched as well and have a laundry list of items to complete too. It is hard to let the boat sit in the garage when it is so nice out.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congratulations! Very nice restoration on the boat....and the 'Rude sounds smoooooooth! :thumb:

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking fine as it comes together. I really like how your bow rails curve and bend down at the front. Did you bend them yourself?
No, the rails came bent like that. I'm pretty happy with how they cleaned up. Thanks for stopping in.