1978 v175 black max tell Tale

MARB415

Cadet
It feels like it never ends with this motor just changed the Whole water pump started the motor and let it run and I got no water coming out of tell tale I got 5 lbs of water pressure at idle and i noticed alot of water coming out of echaust relief I don't know if this is normal I never noticed water coming out of exhaust relief did I mess something up when I was putting it back together or could it be something else any help would be greatly appreciated

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1978 v175 black max tell Tale

Water is normally mixed with the exhaust, including what comes out of the reliefs. If the supply water is real cold, sometimes the t-stats won't open, and you won't get much out of the tell-tale. Bugs like the tell-tale for home, also.

Feel the hose that the tell-tale is tapped into, and if it's warm, the tell-tale is plugged. The t-stats are opening and dumping water into the base through that hose.

hope it helps
John

MARB415

Cadet

Thanks John the tubes that go into thermostat housing are getting warm and I tested the thermostats in hot water and they are opening, so as long as I have water pressure everything is good? And what should be maximum water pressure at wot on this motor

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Your "pee" tube should be like this below and your water pressure should be 5-7 psi at idle and 17-22 psi @5000rpm. The "pee" hose is not tied into the t-stats as they supply water to the idle shut off/poppet valve. This feed waters back thru block to base and adapter plate which these gaskets must be in good shape for this system to work. If it starts to "pee" when rev'ed up check the stats and poppet valve first then shoot for gaskets. The "pee" tube is C in picture.

Attachments

• Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

MARB415

Cadet

Well I had a problem with the poppet valve it was leaking on the side of the block I took it apart to cleaned it and put it back together with new gaskets maybe I did something wrong the diaphragm looked like new so I didnt even bother to change it I'm gonna take it apart again and take a look inside seloc manual I got has nothing in it on poppet valve I got to look for a better manual thanks for your help