1978 Silverline Nantucket 22VC rebuild

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Foam will not add any flotation value until you're sinking and typical structural benefit comes in support for the floor.

That said yes I would still foam the boat since if it should ever get swamped not only will you have something to cling to but recovery from at the surface is easier than from the bottom.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can use 2 part marine foam or the foam board the big box stores carry and cut into pcs. to fit. The second choice lets water and air pass the first locks it in.
Foam is the discussion of the centuries. So to each his own. Do some more research on your preferance.

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
yea it has been a while,
The OM Foam only went up the stringers about 7/8ths of the way so it did not support the sole. it did however hold moisture after a hole had developed (prior owner)
the port side still has the foam in it and the stringers are not rotten at all. The starboard side well, no such luck. I think I will go back with two part foam from fiberglast

ok next question:
My boat has single layer walls with foam glued on. The topcap gunnel about 6-8" wide and at the stern of the boat 20-24"
Across the stern I am going to install a wall with doors to seal off the motor compartment. The wall will be made in two pieces so part of it can be removed next year for a new motor. then it will be bolted to the topcap along the stern. the question is should I tab it to the side of the boat with fiberglass or would that hinder the flex of the boat?

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
0k motor out, outdrive off, exhaust yoke out, transom plate off, and gimbal housing off. and I only broke one bolt....:joyous:
now the fun begins.
take a look at this pick of the motor support stringers.

it looks like the last rebuilder put in a transom support and cut the stringers out to get it in and then never reconnected them? or did the boat come that way?

the question would be when I go back should I connect the stringers to the transom?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Absolutely connect the stringers to the transom. It looks like the "stringers" are connected to the transom but the motor mounts are not. I would recommend that they are connected. it'll just tie everything in. On another note mechanically is the motor flange/outdrive inhibiting a full run of the mounts to the transom?

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
the transom plate will not be in the way to connect the motor mounts to the transom....
the stringers are only glassed to the transom on one side and the outboard stringers are not the stop about 1/4 before the transom

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
I have the floor completely up. 3 out of 5 stringers are in good shape. both motor mounts need to be redone, and I need to grind the old transom repair down to tie it in better. I have flex cracks in the gel cote near the bottom of the outdrive.
I am going to install a wash down pump. where would be the best place for the pickup.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That can go wherever you make an access from the deck for service to it. Typically towards the splashwell hull in the bilge.

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
there is no room for the pump in the bilge area. I was going to place the pump in the back corner on the port side. the hole for the pickup is the concerning thing I don't know how close to the transom area I can put it.

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
great news is.......

I found this soft spot in the transom and now I get to replace the whole thing.

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
ok question... Wooden it would be great to get your opinion on this.
the floor (sole) was placed on PB in most spots but was put directly on the hull in others?
should I put it back that way?

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
next question what kind of wood should I use for a 18' stringer?
now that I have removed enough of the last persons rebuild I can see some of the original work.
it had solid wood stringers the full length of the boat the center one is right at 18' long I have read that I should not use solid wood due to it expanding and contracting with moisture and possibly cracking the glass over the top of it?

Also has any one used one of the economy gelcote guns to spray poly resin?
I am thinking of trying to spray the under side of the floor with resin to seal it?

I am also starting to gather materials for the rebuild. What "glue"(for lack of a better word) do I need to secure the transom plate to the fiber glass

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
the hole for the pickup is the concerning thing I don't know how close to the transom area I can put it.
--You might have to get creative. You can always go thru the hull.

the floor (sole) was placed on PB in most spots but was put directly on the hull in others?
should I put it back that way?
-- Sounds odd or maybe the prior owner hacked it in. You really don't want to make hard spots. We'll have to work on this. There's always a way!

next question what kind of wood should I use for a 18' stringer? --Using Waterproof Plywood Panels - the Natural Handyman
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infwood/infwaterproofplywood.htmlABX, ACX, ADX Plywood- What do the letters mean? The letters that label plywood refer to the grade and type of glue that is used. Grades A, B, C, and D are ...
Then there are others but cost much more. ABX is the preferred. There are tons of discussion on the woods here on the forum. Probably end up using butt joints.

Also has any one used one of the economy gelcote guns to spray poly resin?
I am thinking of trying to spray the under side of the floor with resin to seal it?
--Resin by itself has no value unless it is applied with fiberglass.

Note; Work is coming along real well. Always take and note meas. from rip outs, take alot of pics. You'll see later down the road how important they become as you pc. the puzzle back together.
:nod:

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
I was just going to spray it with thinned resin to help with waterproofing

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ahhh whats the point? Just put in some light glass and add strength. Let's see who else chimes in. WOG? Where are you?

pegan81

Seaman Apprentice
ok after some more digging my floor patch has now become a full gut and rebuild......... Yea Me!!!!
next I will be taking out the bunk area so the stringers can be replaced full length..
I will post some picks tonight
I will need some advice on tying the stringers and motor mounts into the transom