1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney

Commander
Re: 1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Hey, I didn't know there was a new TallCanadian resto going on? Glad I got to catch up "in-progress" on this one.

That's a clean old boat and when you're done is going to be brand new all over again. As a matter of fact, this boat is a great example for all the people that pick up these older beauties and try to fool themselves into believing that their boat doesn't have rot, lol. From the pics, at least, this would've been one of those examples. Until you tear into it, of course.

Thanks for sharing another build and I do look forward to watching it progress.

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey, I didn't know there was a new TallCanadian resto going on? Glad I got to catch up "in-progress" on this one.

That's a clean old boat and when you're done is going to be brand new all over again. As a matter of fact, this boat is a great example for all the people that pick up these older beauties and try to fool themselves into believing that their boat doesn't have rot, lol. From the pics, at least, this would've been one of those examples. Until you tear into it, of course.

Thanks for sharing another build and I do look forward to watching it progress.

Thanks everyone for looking in and I hope you enjoy. It's going to take most of the fall to get the glassing done and put back together. The boat is 3 hours away and I will be going most every second weekend. I hope your all patient.

Yes emoney, nicely put. By looking at the before pics the boat looks flawless. But I knew better. And when I felt a soft spot on the deck, that was the deciding factor that pushed me to rebuild it this year. It will be done and ready for the spring. I read a lot on these forums that people try to repair a soft spot or the deck is bad but they think the stringers and transom are okay. I was almost fooled by the transom on this. It looked and felt solid as a rock, but when I took the motor off, that was quickly put to rest.

I hope people new to buying these oldies are ready to tear 'em down. Unless they have been recently restored, get ready to spend a few bucks and spend some time fixing these things up. Denial is a wonderful tool if you want to sink...lol.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice progress TC.. keep it up! :)

tallcanadian

Captain

So I go into a local hardware store to get a price on marine plywood. I go up to the counter and take a number. I don't have a long wait, 5-7 minutes. I get served by this fella, probably in his 40s, perhaps late 30's. His left eye went outward but when he straightened it the right eye went outward. I''m not making fun but it was hard to tell what eye to be looking into. The following is our conversation. ..

Me: I want to price marine plywood, do you have any in stock.
10 second pause, eyes going back and forth.
Him: Yes, good one side. What thickness?
Me: Oh, okay, good one side. 3/4"
10 second pause. Eyes still going back and forth.
Him: 48.75
Me: Do you have marine plywood?
15 seconds, very agonizing. Eyes moving faster.
Him: Yes, that has waterproof glue.
Me: But it's only good one side. I need good both sides.
10 seconds, eyes stopped moving.
Me: Okay, never mind. How about that flooring for bathrooms. The stuff that is waterproof. (I couldn't think of the name). Do you have any?
15 seconds pass. This time he is frowning hard. Eyes are slowly shifting.
Him: No.
Me: Okay thank you. Bye. I knew I was losing that battle.:facepalm::facepalm:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

LMAO and ROFL...

I used to work with a guy who had the same problem...we used to say " one eye is entertained, while the other one is eating S#!t...

Sooo, I 'spose you didn't pick up any ply...?:facepalm:

BTW, you can ask for Underlayment or MDO plywood...the other choice is Exterior Grade A/C fir Plywood

tallcanadian

Captain

I was that disgusted I just wanted to get out of there. I was hoping to buy local and stay away from the national brands. There are a couple more places I'll try. I just keep away from places that don't want to take the time and listen to what the customer wants. And no, I didn't buy any ply today. lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You might save yourself some time by contacting some local homebuilders or contractors and find out where they buy their roofing or floor underlayment material. Also outdoor sign makers might know where to pick up some MDO. It is Excellent for Decks, Transoms and stringers.

tallcanadian

Captain

Most of the foam is now removed. A few hours of chopping and picking and cleaning and scraping. lol. It seemed like it took forever but after a few hours the foam in the floor is cleaned out. I'm hoping to get the stringers, or at least one out in one piece to use it as a model for the new one. There are also some blisters in the fiberglass from the factory. These are big blisters and were filled with foam. I will grind those down and repaired the areas.

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1360.jpg

Blisters
DSCF1363.jpg

For those who are in denial and say that their foam is dry should inspect it more closer to the floor. The floor here is wet.

DSCF1346.jpg

Here's a shot of the floor after. Notice the tube in the middle for water to run. I'm not sure if I like that or not. I may block it off so water can't get in or out.

DSCF1364.jpg

Trooper82

Commander

Great Demo Day!!

Seeing that you live in the arctic (not really) I would be skeptical of those tubes too...I think they are a good idea to funnel water to the bilge..but if they do not do their job well..and you get hard water (ice) could be a bad thing for the glass...just my 2 cents...

tallcanadian

Captain

Another day at the boat. I got the old stringers out, almost all intact. They will be good enough to use a model for the new ones. I did a lot of grinding and got most of the old glass ground out. I still have a lot to do but spent some time cleaning up. I then started with the transom and got most of it out. I have about an hour of work left but then came the rains. We are suppose to get heavy rains for the next couple of days. It will get a good bath for sure. I'm very happy with the progress I did today. I'm now itchy and scratchy. lol.:D

DSCF1415.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1429.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Man, you got a LOT done TC!!! She's Lookin Good!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain

Man, you got a LOT done TC!!! She's Lookin Good!!!!

It's getting there. I've got some trimming to do and more grinding. But it looks like I'm making some progress. I clean as I go so It takes a bit longer but easier for clean up. I've started buying some fiberglass supplies. Next weekend is Thanksgiving here so I will have an extra day to work on it. Yay for long weekends.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with keeping things cleaned up as you go. It's just soo.... much easier, not to mention safer. I'm sure you'll get a bunch more done with the 3 days. Have a Happy ThanksGiving!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the bottom half of the transom was pretty mushy . I guess the mushier the better when trying to tear it out ..
Have a great Canadian Thanksgiving TC ! Don,t stuff yourself to much . Makes it hard to bend down for the grinding and glassing..:D

Trooper82

Commander

Cool vids TC..and cool weather too...love the leaves when they start turning...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Glad to see you making some progress...I'm still watching paint dry...:redface:

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love the Fall...only way I get to enjoy it is vicariously through pictures...it is still HOT and Rainy and Humid here in Miami...we are currently entering our second season of the year...we only really have two...a hot rainy summer and a slightly hotter, rainy summer...:facepalm:

Thanks for the vids...

tallcanadian

Captain

The fall here is very nice. Unfortunately, it leads to a long, dark winter. Uuugh, I hate the winter.:facepalm: I shouldn't complain, winters here in Dartmouth aren't so bad. It's funny how fast the summer has gone by. Wow.

A lonely maple.
DSCF1366.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice vids TC ! Have you got a place to work on her when it turns cold?

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice vids TC ! Have you got a place to work on her when it turns cold?

Actually I do. A nice heated garage. But once the glassing is done, I will be storing it for the winter. I still have the vinyl to do and the tear down of my Merc.

Status
Not open for further replies.