1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper82

Commander
Congrats TC...looked like a fun day....get those kinks worked out...def heard some high rpms in one part of the vid....no clue what it means though...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yo TC...Congrats on the..

I think you know the drill. Spark, Compression, Fuel. Pull the plugs and check for spark. Since you just got her back from the shop if she's not sparkin then take her back. If she is then check the fuel filter and disconnect the fuel line at the filter and blow out the line from there back. Clean or replace the filter. Remove the plugs and dry crank for a bit. Then pour a bit of fuel in the plug holes and put the plugs back in. Hook everything back up Pump her up and try starting her on the muffs. See what happens.

Last edited:

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Awesome. Did you have a ceremony or anything before launching. I remember friscoboater had a whole poem reading, champagne drinking thing when he launched one of his. I think I may have to do the same when I launch mine.

Good luck with the motor. Is that an 850 on the back. If so, what year?

Edit: I went back and reviewed your thread. You have the same motor as i do except I have a 75. Let me know if you need any help with it?

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain
A bit of a Eureka moment tonight. I took the plugs out and they look just fine. Then I took the cover of the fuel pump off and Bam!!! It's always nice to find a problem. It looks like rubber. So I cleaned it all out and blew out the rest through the fuel line. I hooked it all up and it fired right up. I ran it for a few minutes, took the cover off again and more rubber. I guess the fuel line has had better days. At least it's an easy fix.

Plugs from left to right are top to bottom.

I'm like, WTH??

tallcanadian

Captain
Awesome. Did you have a ceremony or anything before launching. I remember friscoboater had a whole poem reading, champagne drinking thing when he launched one of his. I think I may have to do the same when I launch mine.

Good luck with the motor. Is that an 850 on the back. If so, what year?

Edit: I went back and reviewed your thread. You have the same motor as i do except I have a 75. Let me know if you need any help with it?

Frisco did the ceremony thing because he changed the name of the boat. I'm not naming mine. lol. I appreciate the offer, I may have to take you up on it someday. So far, so good.....Now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I kinda figured it was the filter at the pump. I did a poor job of describing it though.

tallcanadian

Captain
So i went for another rip tonight. I replaced the fuel line last night and put it on muffs for a few minutes. I had a bit more debris on the strainer. I cleaned it up and tonight she worked perfect, until the end. It started to stumbled when I gave it gas then would stall. Eventually it died again. I haven't look but it acted the same way so I know I have more debris. It must be coming from the fuel hose on the take. So I will have to pick up another hose.

Again I couldn't get to WOT because I experienced prop spin again. I'm not sure what's up with that. I will have to investigate further. I will have to try putting it down one hole. Not sure why I'm losing traction..lol.

She looks good though.

A little air guitar, or paddletar. This is becoming a common occurance

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Have you actually checked the Prop bushing for "Prop Spin" You know they can actually have that problem...right???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Internally on the prop the splines slide onto the shaft of the lower unit and theres a rubber hub that holds the prop tight to the splined hub. Put the motor in gear and then see if you can twist the prop and make it slip. I'm betting you've actually got what they call a "Spun Prop" a "Prop Shop" at the marina can fix it for ya.!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Internally on the prop the splines slide onto the shaft of the lower unit and theres a rubber hub that holds the prop tight to the splined hub. Put the motor in gear and then see if you can twist the prop and make it slip. I'm betting you've actually got what they call a "Spun Prop" a "Prop Shop" at the marina can fix it for ya.!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain
Well. I will check this out tomorrow. I appreciate the advise, Wood. I never thought of this. Or maybe I am still in denial..lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
R U running a Metal Tank or Plastic. Have you checked the Pickup tube screen in the tank to make sure it's not fouled? Are you running an Inline filter from the tank to the motor. I started doing that and found it to be quite helpful. I use this one...
61gjHvRymUL._SY355_.jpg
cuz you can replace the internal filters when you see them get dirty.

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain
R U running a Metal Tank or Plastic. Have you checked the Pickup tube screen in the tank to make sure it's not fouled? Are you running an Inline filter from the tank to the motor. I started doing that and found it to be quite helpful. I use this one...
61gjHvRymUL._SY355_.jpg
cuz you can replace the internal filters when you see them get dirty.

I am using the original metal tank. I have not checked the tank, although that would be too easy. And no, I'm not running an inline filter. Where did you get that bad boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.