1978 mercury 1150 power trim question

lovetofish101

Recruit
I just recently bought a boat with a 1978 mercury 1150 115hp. I've seen everyone call,them the tower of power, but anyways motor runs great. My power trim however started acting funny. The pump and motor assembly is inside the boat not on the engine. When it stopped working I tapped lightly on the trim motor and it started working fine again, but it keeps,doing it more and more and it seems like it's getting really weak. I was wondering if anyone knows,where to maybe buy a replacement or knows of any other trim setups,that would work that aren't going to hurt my pocket to bad. I looked all over Google ebay amazon and craigslist. Seems like the old girl is hard to find parts for. Thanks in advance e for any replys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can clean the commutator and the overload bi-metal points and can could restore the motor. Also, new brushes are likely available. An electric motor shop might be able to rebuild it.

As for replacement, ARCO used to make a replacement. It was a complete motor and upper reservoir assembly. I am not sure they are available anymore. If you find one, compare the length of the armature of the motors to make sure they are the same length. Some replacements had a too short armature, which didn't engage the oil pump.