1978 MC1 Trim will not go DOWN. But goes up perfect.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1978 Sea Ray with 165 HP inline six. Just installed a nice used (known working) trim pump. The motor & pump are nice and strong and used all last year on a rotted boat. Upon installing, I got the wiring ironed out, the motor runs when pressing down / in, but the drive requires you to stand on it while someone presses the button. And even so, it goes very very slow.

It goes up nice and fast (normal).

I do not beleive it is an electrical problem as much as some kind of hydraulic / trim cylinder problem. Where should I begin.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 MC1 Trim will not go DOWN. But goes up perfect.

Back up top........

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any ideas guys?

Try to disconnect the trim rams off the drive and see if both are moving.

Bondo

Staff member

Upon installing, I got the wiring ironed out, the motor runs when pressing down / in, but the drive requires you to stand on it while someone presses the button. And even so, it goes very very slow.

Ayuh,... My guess is the rams are bindin' up at the gland nuts,... right where the rod comes out,...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took the "down hose" off the reverse lock valve, fluid flows out the hose. I then reattached the hose on the reverse lock valve and took the outlet hose off. Fluid flows out the valve fine. I demounted the trim cylinders, and they both move outwards when pressing the up button, but they will not go "in" when pressing the down button. This hydralic system is really confusing me.

I can loosen the hoses and press the rams in my hand. It is a little hard but not abnormal.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, new info to add. The cylinders will go down when I stand on the drive regardless weather I run the pump down or not. I do not see any fluid leaks at all. I am very stumped on this one, and need some help. Any other things I can try?

To recap:
-Checked fluid level
-Pump actually runs electrcically in both directions
-No visable fluid leaks or loose hoses.
-Checked flow out the down port of pump.
-Checked flow out the reverse lock outlet port.
-Manually moved trim rams to make sure they are free

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone else????