1978 Johnson 85ML78C

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I purchased a new-to-me boat a couple weeks ago and this engine is on it. I don't plan on keeping it for the long term because I'll be up-powering to a 150HP outboard later. But, it would be nice if I can get it running for cheap now, as it will help with other stuff I have going on.

Anyway, on the demo ride for the boat, the engine ran, but very poorly. Didn't really matter to me though. Just helped with the price! :LOL:

I'd ordered and have received a Johnson service manual for the engine. Great shape, including color wiring diagrams.

I started looking at the engine a bit more closely this afternoon.

Here's the demo video. The seller was driving, his buddy was at the stern and I was just extra ballast! 😂

And what I found today. In a word, ugh. 😵‍💫

This nasty thing is part of the circuit from the stator to the CD box.
3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to pull the flywheel and trace down that wiring group. If I can salvage them, I will. Otherwise, I'll be scrapping or selling the engine. I don't have money, time or energy to mess with a mess! 🙃

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor has overheated and severely overheated.----Looks like a parts motor or 10 cents / lb.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Motor has overheated and severely overheated.----Looks like a parts motor or 10 cents / lb.
Ah. That makes sense!

I guess that's why this connector (thermostat?) looks like a melted sponge? 🔥

2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Now that you've pointed it out, I went and looked at some of the other pix I had and can clearly see the discoloration in the starboard cylinder bank. Tsk, tsk. 😕

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wiring repairs appear to be " guess work " and poorly done.----Powerhead like that would come apart here to see if anything can be salvaged.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Wiring repairs appear to be " guess work " and poorly done.----Powerhead like that would come apart here to see if anything can be salvaged.
Yeahh... I'm just gonna pull it from the boat and sell it as a parts motor. It's just not worth my time and effort to do anything else.

Thanks for the help! :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That ring by the flywheel is the lift point, right?
I hook my crane to that?

20240321_193439.jpg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
interesting to see how one can be so neglectfull as to let an investment perish beyond junk value.... a lot of oldies from the 60s look better than this one.!
must be the salt....

10c/lb sound reasonnable :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The melted " sponge thingy " is the switch that sounds the horn on overheat.-----But then there are thousands of these motors out there that have never had the horn tested.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
interesting to see how one can be so neglectfull as to let an investment perish beyond junk value.... a lot of oldies from the 60s look better than this one.!
must be the salt....

10c/lb sound reasonnable :)
Yeah, it's really sad. I just went out to crank the engine over (for the ad) and realized that we need a different connector for the fuel line. My Mercury fitting doesn't work. Gonna buy the correct fitting locally in a few minutes.

I dunno, guys. I just. don't. know. o_O

The choke wire "connection."
2.jpg

And the fuel line connector is beyond grimy. 😖
1.jpg

tphoyt

Ensign
Maybe it’s just me but I could never sell something like this anyone. It would have come free with the boat.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Maybe it’s just me but I could never sell something like this anyone. It would have come free with the boat.
It basically did. The seller was going to pull it off, then decided to just let me have it. Then he figured that he'd better ask his dad if he wanted it and naturally, the dad said yes. I offered another $100 for the motor and they both accepted. I'll get more than that for it when I sell it as a parts motor.

I got the boat hull, motor, new starting battery, trolling motor and galvanized trailer for $900. I'm satisfied with that. :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Anybody offhand know the fuel line connector size? We could only get a cheap one with 3/8" connector. It leaked all over at the connector, not at the fuel line.

Does this engine use a 5/16" connector?
Thanks.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
hose sizes differ but to my knowledge the OMC connectors are standard and have been since the 60s
make certain the click engages some cheap one the click tab needs to be bent a bit outwards

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
hose sizes differ but to my knowledge the OMC connectors are standard and have been since the 60s
make certain the click engages some cheap one the click tab needs to be bent a bit outwards
I'd been wondering if the internals are different for the different size hoses.
I just found the OEM part number for the connector and it's 5/16".

This is the part we bought, which is 3/8".

What do you mean bend the connector out?

connector.jpeg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I had some connectors not latching (locking on) if the lip was not bent out just a bit.
if yours locks solidly don't " fix it "

1711944434246.png

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I ordered the correct OEM part this morning. I'll try again after the part arrives in a few days.

Thanks for the help, guys.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I received the brand new OEM fuel line connector this evening. Looks like no joy again.

I installed the connector without the fuel line being attached, just as a quick test. The connector wiggled the same way as the cheapo Walmart unit we tried previously. That one squirted fuel all over the place.

Tomorrow I'll connect the hose and give the bulb a squeeze and see if it leaks like the Walmart unit.

I've never had a connector wiggle like that before. Any ideas, tips or tricks to get it corrected?

I might pull the connector completely out and run straight fuel line inside the engine, just so that I can get video of the engine running. Depends on how I feel about it at the time.

20240404_192745.jpg