1978 16ft Super Sport

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well, after several years of sporadic progress and a few last days of troubleshooting, I finally had the opportunity to splash my 16SS. I went to a local lake this past Saturday and was met with frustration when I couldn't get her to start. Running her on the muffs, I didn't account enough for the increased back pressure once in the water, and although she initially fired off on the first attempt, I believe I ended up flooding out the motor after subsequent attempts and put her back on the trailer for the drive of shame home. Spent Sunday in the driveway adjusting idle and throttle cable after double checking spark to all 4 cyl. Gave it another go at getting her on the water last evening. She fired right up, I idled out into the bay, slowly eased into full throttle where she planed out nicely...unitl she fell on her face and seemed to be deprived of fuel. Tried easing out the idle screws on the carbs a 1/4 turn a couple of time to no avail. Limped our way over to the local marina where I was hoping to catch the owner and reputable marine mechanic. Caught him finishing up dinner and he jumped on board and gave it a quick look. After about 2 minutes he said he'd be right back and returned a short time later with a metal gas can and different fuel hose, connected her up and said let's go for a ride. Made our way out of the no wake zone, dropped the throttle, and she came up on plane with 650lbs + of men on board(all in the back mind you) and ran like a top. We swapped tanks around again in the middle of the lake, monkeyed with the quick attachments, and she ran just fine again on my Five Ocean plastic 6 gallon tank and quick connections. Gave our friend a ride back to the marina, negotiated a few wobbly pops for his assistance, and hit the lake for another hour or so without a hiccup. Received some nice comments from him about the boat and he expressed his satisfaction with how the motor was running and the Classic Fifty(45hp) performance with three adult men on board. We spoke a little bit about propping and he stated he wouldn't change a thing. Recommended maybe getting some genuine Mercury fuel connectors to replace the aftermarket ones, but acknowledged they're now working okay and we know to be mindful of them.

Pretty satisfying end of the day. Pictures to come.

MNhunter1

Ensign
[No message]

Attachments

• photo332632.jpg
    photo332632.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 41
  • photo332633.jpg
    photo332633.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
  • photo332634.jpg
    photo332634.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo332635.jpg
    photo332635.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 17
  • photo332636.jpg
    photo332636.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 17
  • photo332637.jpg
    photo332637.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 18
  • photo332638.jpg
    photo332638.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 16

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glad you got the motor issues figured out, if you have one of those gray Attwood primer fuel lines then get rid of it and either make your own from quality parts or get an OEM line.

MNhunter1

Ensign
if you have one of those gray Attwood primer fuel lines then get rid of it and either make your own from quality parts or get an OEM line.

This one is a universal 5/16" assembly with primer bulb from Five Oceans. Line and bulb seem to be fine, its the plastic moeller connectors that seem to be finicky. I'll be looking for a better replacement.

Watermann

This one is a universal 5/16" assembly with primer bulb from Five Oceans. Line and bulb seem to be fine, its the plastic moeller connectors that seem to be finicky. I'll be looking for a better replacement.

If you have the old style bayonet fuel connectors then you need to get the metal one, plastic won't last long.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats on the splash & getting the fuel system sorted MN!!!

The boat looks amazing man; super clean!! :thumb:

I had a heck of a time priming for the 1st time with a black Attwood primer bulb last night. I eventually got it to pull with some authority by pumping some 2 cycle oil through it; i guess the check valve wasn't closing completely.

Watermann Metal fuel connector?! I've only seen plastic for 5/16 Evinrude...me WANT!!!! :madgrin:

Watermann

Congrats on the splash & getting the fuel system sorted MN!!!

The boat looks amazing man; super clean!! :thumb:

I had a heck of a time priming for the 1st time with a black Attwood primer bulb last night. I eventually got it to pull with some authority by pumping some 2 cycle oil through it; i guess the check valve wasn't closing completely.

Watermann Metal fuel connector?! I've only seen plastic for 5/16 Evinrude...me WANT!!!! :madgrin:

Sorry OMC fella... Notice anything different? Black on back!

fetch

MNhunter1

Ensign
Suppose I better close this one out before I open a new thread :rolleyes:

Had a great summer with the 16SS and was able to get the kids on some good fish. Spent a full three days/nights on the water without any indication of leaking a drop, as well as a few different day trips. Still had intermittent issues with the fuel line disconnects and ultimately rectified it with a new OEM fitting for the engine side and a direct attach barb for the tank side to completely eliminate the QD. Boat has moved on to a new home with one of the admiral's co-workers who I know will give it a good home and the attention it deserves.

I have a early morning road trip planned for Saturday morning to pick up number #3. Too many projects in the works to give it any immediate attention, but it will soon be here and waiting for it's turn. Stay tuned...

IMG_8848.JPGIMG_8846.JPGIMG_8847.JPG

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Someone's getting a great boat MN! :thumb:

That's really neat that you're only 1 degree of separation if you miss her down the road! :lol:

Now where is that next project! :hungry: