1977 johnson 2hp

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice
got a johnson 2hp that is in pristine condition and has not been run in 25 years. i will put a new impeller in, carb kit, points and condenser. i have pulled the flywheel and have 2 questions.<br />1. i know omc coils go bad. this one looks perfectly clean (510591) but it has some white rubberized stuff on the wire connections-almost looks kike it is supposed to be there. however i do not know as all the coils that i have worked with are the old red ones from the 50's that were cracked to heck. i did not notice this stuff on the sierras that i used replacing the coils in my old motors. is this coil shot-don't want to replace a perfectly good part.<br />2. there is a black plastic fitting on the faceplate that the choke knob fits into that is broken. does anyone have a parts catalog with a part number and will this be available anywhere?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 johnson 2hp

The knob detent grommet PN 312890, is not available from BRP anymore. You can search up TwinCity marine or seaway marine. Both carry vintage parts.<br /><br />Not sure what the "rubberized" stuff is. Where is it exactly? Sure it's not some sort of white silicon?