1977 Holiday Resto Complete.......Thank You!

Snox49x

Cadet
So not quite a year ago I began a resto on a 1977 Starcraft Holiday with a 115 Mercury outboard. The boat belonged to my girlfriends father, and had not been used much the last few years as the transom was shot. He gave us the boat and I began the resto and to convert it into more of a fishing boat. Mush of the knowledge and ideas for this project came form this website, so thank all of you who have posted your projects in the past!!

Here it was in all of it's 70's glory......

The hull was actually in great shape. The transom was shot and the floor needed to be replaced. Decided at this point to do a full resto with new paint and an update to the interior. Boat was stripped down to the bare hull with all hardware removed. Transom was removed and replaced with two layers of marine ply covered in epoxy. Once the transom was complete the boat was flipped and paint stripping began. Used paint stripper, putty knife, wore brush and an orbital sander to remove the paint. Once removed the hull was cleaned and sanded with 60 grit sand paper just before painting. Painted the bottom side first using interlux primers and topcoat (Perfection line of paint). Paint was applied using the roll and tip method with small foam rollers and a quality brush. Once the bottom sides were done, the boat was placed back upright on the trailer so the topsides could be painted.The topsides were then painted a gray color that was created from black and silver as Interlux does not offer the perfection in a dark gray color.

Once the paint was done, the trailer was stripped painted and reassembled with new hardware, tires, lights, winch, etc. This took a lot longert and more effort than expected...but it looks great now!

The inside of hull was cleand and seams/rivets covered in Gluvit. The flotation foam was replaced and a new 3/4 floor installed. Sealed the floor with spar varnish and rivited back down like the original. The 3/4 is much more solid than the original 1/2" polywood. It was then covered with Nautolex vinyl floor covering as were the boards that line the inside of the bow. The original dash was mostly plastic that was very weathered and cracked so I decided to scrap it and rebuild the entire dash based on what was used in earlier Starcrafts. Plywood epoxied and then painted and the top piece covered in foam and vinyl. The original side panels were reused and covered in the same vinyl as the dash. Replaced all of the original seats with just two pedestal seats to keep the rear open for fishing room. Cleaned/polsihed and then reinstalled all of the hardware, windshield, bow rails etc.

At this point I was very happy with the way things were turning out and was hesitant to out the original outboard back on it. Also the 115 Merc is not exactly suited to trolling so I was going to have to mount a kicker. The transom shape is not very condusive to that so I decided to re-power with a nw 90hp Yamaha four stroke!

Here she is waiting to be installed.

To go along with the new outboard, I installed a new fuel tank up in the bow to offset the extra weight of the new motor. New fill cap was installed and new lines ran. Also installed new Yamaha Command Link gauges and controls. These are sweet!! I rewired the entire boat with new wire, fuse panel with auto style fuses and a Perko switch and dual batteries. Also installed some new fishing equipment including some Cannon downriggers, Cannon track system and rod holders, as well as a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI ff/gps combo.

Sooo after many many hours and WAY to much money, she was once again ready to be splashed. Yesterday was the big day and I must say everything went perfect. Everything worked as it should without issue. This new motor is amazing! Not nealry as fast as the old Merc but sooo smooth and whisper quiet. Trolls down beautifully!!

All worth it now!!

So thank all of you guys again!! I know I dont have all the step by step pics but this forum was a great reference all along the way! Not sure I would have tackled this project without the input from the posters here!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 1977 Holiday Resto Complete.......Thank You!

Outstanding Job! Great attention to detail...and you even reproduced the swooosh!!

Did your GF's father help with the resto?

64osby

Admiral

Snox - Awesome :applause: :thumb: :madgrin:.

Next up a video of that Yammy pushing:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome job! Love that you kept the Starcraft paint scheme. Looks to be a very high quality job! With the new motor and all, your good for a LONG time.

P.S. If the girlfriend gets sick of you, do you get to keep the boat?!

:))

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a winner. :thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congrats, mighty fine looking rig. Looks like you have her well outfitted for trolling big water. I assume you are a salmon/trout troller? I am already making my plans for my annual trip to the west side of Michigan in late August for prime time salmon fishing. Good luck with her.

dozerII

Admiral

Awesome looking Holiday Snox. Great job on the restore.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent job with the Resto!!!

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat looks great! It should be good for another 30 years.

The paint looks amazing, was it all done roll and tip?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great looking resto! Congrats........

Still, I can't believe you dumped the Merc AND the brown Barca-loungers :facepalm:

Nice work....

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful Resto!!

Snox49x

Cadet

Thanks for the kind words guys! Hopefully this weekend I can get her out on Lake Ontario and do some salmon fishing. Need to get some fish slime on her now!!

Low277 the paint was all rolled and tipped. The white laid down real nice but the gray was a little tougher. Being darker it showed the imperfections more. I had some practice by then so I think it came out well. I cant say enough about the Interlux perfection paint system. This was my first time doing anything like this and the results speak for themselves. This paint is awesome!! A bit pricey but definitely worth it!!

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice

Beautiful job snox, looks amazing. Better than buying new in my opinion