1977 Ebbtide Captiva Interior HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Showing how the foam was soaked... there was a lot of water, and the foam afterwards was really heavy...

Last pic I have, I do have all the foam taken out and cleaned. I am missing a few pictures though... I dod cut more into the back to where we are going to put the drain into the area where the drain plug is in the transom. Transom is going to need a little reinforcing, not a whole rebuild though.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Now I am looking into the foam to put back in the boat. What is the best foam to use? Any specific brands or different kinds that work well? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated here!

Thanks
W

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Either the 2-part pourable foam from u s c o m p o s i t e s or Cut the Pink Or Blue Slab Foam into strips and lay it into place. Just so you're aware the stringer ARE the Backbone of your hull. If they are waterlogged and flexing from weakness then the hull will also flex and this is NOT Safe!!! Have you core sampled them or the Transom?? The transom holds the motor and if has any flex or weakness this too is a major concern.

wheeman2222

Cadet
The stringers only have surface rot at this point. When drilled the core looks good and solid. So marrying news to it just for reassurance. Also considering the age of the boat, almost 40, I do not want to dump Large amounts of cash into it. i do understand however that to do things correctly it cost money, and normally not cheap. Also what is the best was to core sample the transom? I don't want to just drill through it if it is good, but when shaking the motor it seem quite solid. The only thing that worries me is some de-lamination on the inside of the transom. And okay, I will probably go with cutting the foam boards! Thank you!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You DON'T drill all the way through Put some tape on the drill bit and just drill about 1" deep at various locations and check the shavings. If they are light colored and dry OK. If dark colored and damp or Powdery then not so good. If you can bounce HARD on the Lower leg of the motor when it's raised up and not get any flex then there's a good chance it's ok. Core sampling should tell the tale.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Excellent. I will do some core sampling this week. Now for material to use for stringers, What is the best? I know it will be some sort of plywood, but whats the best thickness? 5/4 Board I have heard of as well as 3/4in think plywood as well. Whats the best thing used?

jbcurt00

Staff member
FYI if you move your photobucket pix around into folders at PB after you post links to them here, the pix links are broken and dont show your posted pix anymore. Subs in a pix of a cat.

No 5/4, nearly all of that would be pressure treated deck lumber.

How wide are your stringers? Match what you're taking out.

Follow link in WOGs signature for how to redo stringers, deck and transom

scubalady

Cadet
Not sure if you’ve completed your project yet, but if not, here’s some photos from the restoration of my 1978 Ebbtide Captiva that I did last year. My boat was not in as bad a shape, but if you want, I’m happy to pass on info on what products/processes I used to restore it. If your engine and outdrive are sound, it’s a boat worth restoring.

Attachments

• photo309709.jpg
    photo309709.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309710.jpg
    photo309710.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309711.jpg
    photo309711.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309712.jpg
    photo309712.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309713.jpg
    photo309713.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309714.jpg
    photo309714.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not sure if you’ve completed your project yet, but if not, here’s some photos from the restoration of my 1978 Ebbtide Captiva that I did last year. My boat was not in as bad a shape, but if you want, I’m happy to pass on info on what products/processes I used to restore it. If your engine and outdrive are sound, it’s a boat worth restoring.

He's been gone for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.