1977 55 hp dropping cylinder

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys,<br /><br />I've been gone awhile .. I guess when everything is working, you just go boating. I'm about to send this email to my dad who says he's dropping a cylinder on his '77 55. He rebuilt carbs, and tells me he is certain he is getting gas. Please let me know if this makes sense before I send it.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br /><br />Dad,<br /><br />Here’s what I found out. Your pack (581397) has been superseded by 185755. I found them online for $59.16 at <br /><br /> http://www.theshadconnection.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?page=313 <br /><br />The terminal connections are as follows:<br /><br /># 1 Charge coil/brown<br /># 2 Ignition coil # 1 / orange<br /># 3 Ignition coil # 2 / orange<br /># 4 Ground lead / black<br /># 5 Key switch / black-yellow<br /># 6 Sensor / white-black<br /># 7 sensor black-white<br /># 8 Vacant <br /><br />If you have one plug firing, but not the other, first, swap the plugs to see if it’s a plug. In general, before I start troubleshooting, I buy new plugs. I personally prefer the standard gap plugs instead of the surface gap as I've seen those foul if you troll much. Once you have eliminated the plugs, pull the plugs, and check which one is firing (say #1 fires, but #2 is dead) by holding them against the block and have mom hit the key while you watch when one fires. I've had good luck using a couple vice grips to clamp them to the block so I don't get "bit". Switch the orange wires at #2 and #3. These should go to the coils. <br /><br />A. If #2 fires and #1 is dead (meaning the firing switched), then it’s not a coil. <br />B. If #1 keeps firing and #2 stays dead (meaning no change), it’s the coil. <br /><br />If you have condition (A), the firing plug switched, then it’s likely either the sensors or the pack. So we don’t get confused, switch the wires back to their original places. Now switch the white-black and black-white wires on #6 and #7. These are the inputs from the sensors.<br /><br />A. If #2 fires and #1 is dead (meaning, the firing switched again), then you likely have a sensor.<br />B. If #1 fires and #2 is still dead (meaning, no change), you likely have a bad pack.

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 55 hp dropping cylinder

Ah, come on guys .. I'm sure someone knows this one.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Dave