1977 115hp Evinrude - Shift Rod Connector

Dallas

Recruit
I'm trying to replace the water pump on my 1977 115 Evinrude, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the shift rod from the shifter arm under the carbs. My repair manual doesn't seem to give me any clues. I asked a local marine dealer and they would not tell me. Their answer was "that's why we charge $190 for that job". Can anyone tell me the trick to this procedure? Do you have to remove the carbs, or anything else? Is a special tool required?<br />Thanks, Dallas. :(

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 115hp Evinrude - Shift Rod Connector

Is you engine a double carb four cylinder? If so you have to remove the lower carb for access to shift lever. I recently replaced mine because original one broke. It fairly easy job once you remove lower carb. Just note original configuration so you put it back on correctly. It will go on upside down. It will take longer to disconnect carb than shift linkage but the carbs on that model are easy to remove.

dragonslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Dallas,<br /><br />If the 77 115 linkage is the one I'm thinking of, it is two arms that pivot on a large head bolt.<br /><br />I have had sucess removing the shift cable from the linkage, the backing out the large head bolt far enough to spread the two arms apart which will disengage the shift rod connector. <br /><br />Removing the carb will also work and if you do, might be a great time to replace the fuel lines going to the carbs if they are old.<br /><br />Good Luck.

Dallas

Recruit

Thanks Chumslick and Dragonslayer, this is helpful info. This motor has two 2 barrel carbs. I have removed the lower unit, but access to the shifter bar that is attached to the shift rod is still tough. If I understand you correctly, by removing the pivot bolt on the shifter bar, this will allow the shifter bar to spread away from the top of the shift rod.(e.g. == is the shifter bar, o is the pivot bolt, U is the top of the shift rod. ===o===U=). I'm still concerned with how to remove the screw-on head thats on top of the shift rod itself.<br />Thanks, Dallas. :cool:

csmithrc

Cadet

Hi Dallas I have a 77 140 HP Evinrude which is the same engine.Yes you can do it without removing the lower carb.It is kind of a pain,but I was able to do it.What is even funner is when you go to put it back together.LOL Don't despair it can be done.Good Luck :)

D

DJ

Dallas,<br /><br />It is VERY helpful to have an expandable screwdriver. These are available in auto parts stores. The drivers have a split blade that expands as you slide a part of the handle toward the blade. Many are available with flexible shafts.

dragonslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Dallas, <br /><br />Once you get the shift bar unhooked from the connector on top of the shift rod, the connector will come out with the rod, you shouldn't have to unthread it before removal.<br /><br />I have had a couple of them that don't seem to want to come out because of a rust build up in the tube that the shift rod is inside of, but haven't had one not come out yet.

Dallas

Recruit

Thanks everyone! I followed your suggestions and everything worked out great. Losening the shift rod connector allowed me to disconnect it from the shift rod head bolt. I was then able to remove the lower unit without a lot of effort. The shift rod head had trouble getting past the rubber bushing under the carbs, but wasn't that big a deal. For those reading this, the only trick left, regarding putting the lower unit back in place, was making sure the water tubes ligned up properly. The plastic sleaves around the copper pipes work just fine for this.<br />Thanks again. I learned a lot, had fun, and saved about $200 bucks. :)

scgator62

Recruit
I had a hard time getting the correct water pump kit. It's been about 5 weeks since I started working on the project. Does anyone have any pics of a 1977 115 Evinrude to help me put it together correctly? The shift throttle seems too tight and I ant to be sure I am doing this right. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I had a hard time getting the correct water pump kit. It's been about 5 weeks since I started working on the project. Does anyone have any pics of a 1977 115 Evinrude to help me put it together correctly? The shift throttle seems too tight and I ant to be sure I am doing this right. Thanks.

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own thread. This one is over 13 years old!