1976 tri-hull project

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well in short this is my baby. 1976 tri-hull ( Invader ) I think :) I have restored the engine ( with a few up-grades ), I replaced the original outdrive from a VP 270 to a newer 280,the drive in these old pictures is not the one that is currently connectd and those parts are complete for now. Now my issue, there are weak spots on the floor, near the front and the open-bow seem very solid, same can be said for both sides near the engine in the rear, however right in front of the engine there are soft spots on both sides, and the wood appears to be rotted:confused:, I do not have recent pics as of right now, however tomorrow when I begin pulling the old nasty original carpet I will take new ones. Now my brother does fiberglass work so he will be assisting me tomorrow, I know there is not much you can tell me without seeing the issue, but again I will have pictures of the problems tomorrow evening. In the meanwhile you know what my issue is, and here are some older pictures before the new outdrive, and engine rebuild. Anyway I am also replacing the original guages, the only problem is that the old wood frame that held the old guages is cracked and dry rotted, any suggestions? I included a picture of the dash panel, thats what its called I need to make a new 1, know how what should I use? Also can anyone reccommend what material I should use to recover engine cover and side panels? as the seats are new. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • engine-after-rebuild.jpg
    engine-after-rebuild.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • rebuild process.jpg
    rebuild process.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • interior-before new guages,seats,throttle,strwheel.jpg
    interior-before new guages,seats,throttle,strwheel.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 tri-hull project

Cool old boat and it looks like you've quite the sweet powerplant in there. You aren't going to like what you find under the floor :(

For the gauge cluster I'd get a piece of aluminum.

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that is a classic, and I'm looking for the right words, you've done a sweet job and looks clean. I haope to have my interior looking something like that here in the very near future, I am getting ready to head out and work on her this morning, I will take some b4 and after pics for you, that way you keep up with my progress and hopefully provide advice along the journey. Well my name is Ryan nice to meet you. Aluminum, well the only thing with that is, it wont be uniform and match everything else in the boat, any durable or heavy duty plastic, as I want the guage panel white to match the boat. sea ya' l8r when I get on tonight w/ new pics.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi there Meadfisher

Welcome !!! This place is the best !! I am just about done with a 76 glastron , sportster 15.6 ,tri-hull [ pics of work so far ] Love mine !! your looks the same body as mine !! Hope you have better luck then me !! the transom was rotten in the corners and all the stringers were shot , and took a good 500 lbs of wet foam out of her !!!

Ok keep them pics comming !! John

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you don't want to use wood I would head to the nearest plastics shop around I'm sure they would have something you could use and you could get them to cut it to size for you then you just buy that much instead of a 1/2 or 1/4 sheet. Here is Salt Lake there are a number of plastics shops Tap, Plastifab, etc I have delt with them on a number of projects most are pretty nice guys. You could also use a smooth grain wood like poplar, do all the machine work dry fit guages etc. then paint it with a couple coats of a quality oil/laquer paint and it would last a long time.

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope same thing. Here are some pics of what I ran into today. All stringers bad and rotten, all the plywood rotten. I went and had 1 quote so far today and the gentleman stated he would charge me $1,200.00-$1,500.00 to bring it back to new. Sounds like a bargain to me, however he comes with good raport and has been local here for thirty years, not to mention 4 1/2 stars on his online reviews. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• before pulling carpet,glass,plywood.jpg
    before pulling carpet,glass,plywood.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • makes 4 a bad day.jpg
    makes 4 a bad day.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wood rot ruined stringers.jpg
    wood rot ruined stringers.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pictures, these are from today they also show the new outdrive and the engine post install.

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • before pulling carpet,glass,plywood.jpg
    before pulling carpet,glass,plywood.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • dash panel 1.jpg
    dash panel 1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ooops here are a few more. I know tihs side is for restoration those pictures are in here to regarding dash.

Attachments

• outdrive 2.jpg
    outdrive 2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dash panel 1.jpg
    dash panel 1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • dash panel 2.jpg
    dash panel 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

jcsercsa

Captain

MeadfisherFor 1200 to 1500 , I would have him do it !! I had about 800 in mine and about 60 hours doing it !! if you think you can trust him , I would go for it !! John

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He seems to be a reputable person, however I am still going to cross refferance with the BBB just to make sure. $1500 and he pulls and replaces the engine aswell, had some lower quotes on the phone but they were CL people and this is an actual business.

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A+ rating with the BBB, seems I have found my guy, wish me luck, at this point I need all I can get. Thinking about the whole situation, rather than buy another used boat or try and find another hull that matches my drive and will take a v8. I am happy I chose to finish restoring mine. When it is complete in about two weeks or so. ( as he stated. ) It will be sea worthy and like new, the very thought of trashing my hull was very sad and not a feeling I want to experience again, as I love this boat!!!

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man you really got that thing lookin sharp!, I hope to have mine looking similar to that. Actually aside from the tap in the wallet, I'm pretty excited about having a fresh new hull that will last. Rebuilt everything on this boat, the engine 302 sb, outdrive Volvo 280, and now finally the hull, the only thing I havent replaced is the windshield and the rod holders lol.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That sounds like and awesome deal. I've seen what these guys go through on hear with the fiberglass boats. No thanks!

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to the shop in the morning. I hope all goes well. Im getting dizzy, too much time on land :)

jcsercsa

Captain

Man you really got that thing lookin sharp!, I hope to have mine looking similar to that. Actually aside from the tap in the wallet, I'm pretty excited about having a fresh new hull that will last. Rebuilt everything on this boat, the engine 302 sb, outdrive Volvo 280, and now finally the hull, the only thing I havent replaced is the windshield and the rod holders lol.

Meadfisher is that me you are talking about ?? lol If it is thanks !! John

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah buddy I was talkin to you, that boat is claen man, when I say I clean I mean #$%@ clean!

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I am just staoked, in two weeks my baby is going to look brand new, my goal is similar to what you have done, which I call better than showroom. My plans of the nice lowrance fish finder/depth, and the wake tower are just gonna have to be put on hold. Who knows I may get to those later this summer, I like my boat versatile, so I can fish or ski. The guy said the rebuilt hull should last me 20 years. It is going to be so light now too, probably taking out 1000 lbs at minimum 5 or 6 hundred lbs, all rotted stringers and plywood, and soaked soggy old foam. Well when it is complete Ill have invested in the neighborhood of 7k, but that is complete with extras.

jcsercsa

Captain

Yeah buddy I was talkin to you, that boat is claen man, when I say I clean I mean #$%@ clean!

HAHAHAH thanks man !! it is starting to look sweet !! just cant wait till I am done and on the water !! thanks John

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New controls-throttle arrived today :), and it looks nice. Now I am just waiting on the new guages and the new steering wheel. Ill keep the pictures coming as the new parts arrive and then on the install.:cool:

Attachments

• new control-throttle 1.jpg
    new control-throttle 1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • new control-throttle 2.jpg
    new control-throttle 2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • new control-throttle 3.jpg
    new control-throttle 3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hull will be finished in two weeks I cannot wait to see the finish product! Ill keep the pictures coming as the project continues...