1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOG, Pro-castinator, and Bonz_d, thank you all for the kind words and well wishing. We are presently watch TV (actually more of background noise as we surf the net) and taking our meds. Neither of us has ever had a summer head cold before and this seems very unusual for us. But we are slowly coming back around as the meds do their job. I guess I'll be reading these comments as a pass-time event for a few days until I can get back out into the action again. Odd how illnesses will instantly change your schedule... Thanks again guys, we both appreciate it indeed. God Bless you all... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey, you should watch "Jeriamiah Johnson" that will help pass the time. Best Movie ever made!!!! Heck, watch it 5 times!!!!!:eek::D;)

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
GM280, all of us were wondering if you were on vacation or something. Glad to hear things are looking up. It is always a huge worry when a family member's health is being impacted. The boat rebuild can wait, ensure the Admiral is well pampered.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow! Glad to hear you and your Admiral are on the mend. We will keep you both in our prayers. My wife had a stent put in in Dec. of 2013 at 42. Very scary! Keep relaxed and get well soon. Looking forward to more updates on your project, and as always thanks for all your input here on the forum.

Dave.

P.S. I agree with wood a marathon of Jeremiah Johnson wouldn't go a miss during your down time.:encouragement:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry for your wife's health setback but so glad to here she is recovering well ! Take time and take care ... The boat stuff will be there when you ya'll get better ..
Thoughts and prayers heading your way gm ..
Sam...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey, you should watch "Jeriamiah Johnson" that will help pass the time. Best Movie ever made!!!! Heck, watch it 5 times!!!!!:eek::D;)

Only the Best Wishes for the Misses! Much Much more important than other activities!
I think I watched that flick 20x. It is the best...specially when he cracks that ole rifle out of the frozen guys hands. Nothing like a long rifle.

Mark72233

Ensign
Gm280, glad to hear she is doing well and on the mend. Take care of yourself so you can take care of her, the boat can wait and so can we. Get well and then get back to it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Again thanks everybody for all the well wishing and prayers. I have read each and everyone and I honestly appreciate them! While my wife doesn't read these forums, I did inform her to what you all said and she thanks you all very much and did smile as well. We are still battling the head cold/infections we still have, but seem to be doing better daily. So maybe in a few days (crossed fingers) we will get back to something resembling normal again. Odd how life can change so quickly and new priorities take control. But that IS what makes life interesting as well.

I did manage to get some items ordered for the boat project because while I can't do actual work on it presently (but soon, hopefully) I did get some ideas and parts ordered to support the remaining efforts when I do get started again. I know It sounds crazy, but I honestly like working on the boat project. I love doing things by hand and a boat project is loaded with hands on work and experiences of every type. Right down my interest levels. So I can see it being finished soon. Of course soon is relative I guess... :smile:

Thanks again all and look for some REAL updates in the, hopefully, near future.

And you all have an amazing day.... :thumb:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I wait in anticipation, your ideas are something we all look forward to GM280. Never ceases to amaze me with your imagination and how you implement them into your resto. Rock on SIR!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good morning all. I can say with great excitement, that this morning is the first time I actually felt like I was healing now. The wife and I have a few more days of meds to consume, but we are finally coming around to something resembling normalcy again. Not sure I will get out to the shop just yet, but I am think more about the wiring of the hull now.

I have received a lot of new marine wire in 18 gauge, 16 gauge and 10 gauge for the different circuit I will need. I have a question for those of you that have gone before me as to how you all connected your individual circuits at their ends. What I am referring to is I have the usual connections like to the gas tank. Being how my tank is a portable six gallon plastic type tank, I need a connection that I can remove easily but also be a great connection when attached. I was thinking of two options. Being how the gas sender circuit is merely a resistive connection (extremely low current setup), I am using 18 gauge wires and even thought about using a simple BNC type connector at the tank to disconnect it when I take it out to refill. BNC connectors require a simple twist turn to connect and disconnect and are gold plated to give great connection. My other idea was to use Tamiya Kyosho Molex Plugs. They are great polarity type plugs but are really for higher current type connections. But that doesn't both me if you all think they would work better. I have access to the ends and the actual crimping tool for those type connectors as well. So what do you all use for such a wiring situation? :noidea: :decision:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well they say you should solder all your connections But with me that never happens . I usually use the heat shrink type crimps with extra heat shrink over that ..
Why are you hooking wires to a plastic portable tank ? Forgive my ignorance I just have never seen that . Fuel gauge ?
Glad you all are feeling a little better !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well they say you should solder all your connections But with me that never happens . I usually use the heat shrink type crimps with extra heat shrink over that ..
Why are you hooking wires to a plastic portable tank ? Forgive my ignorance I just have never seen that . Fuel gauge ?
Glad you all are feeling a little better !

Yes Sam I will have a fuel sensor in that portable tank and therefore will need two wire connection when installed in the boat. I have new set of Faria gauges to install in the front section to monitor the fuel, battery and RPMs. So I was wondering what other use for a quick connect and disconnect for such things... Because of the extremely low current type sensors I figured a nice twist to lock BNC connection would work, but I have other options depending on what you all say...

sam am I

Commander
So what do you all use for such a wiring situation? :noidea: :decision:

GM..............I'd/I've used these http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/249/11172/
They're not underwater proof per-se, but close enough eh? Field dis-connectable, fuel/oil proof(mostly), low cost, found at auto-zones and would work/weather well in this app/eviro.

Low current = low V drop, so any connector resistance in these (very lil to begin with) can be also be neglected esp. in your fuel sensor app. BNC/Molex's would work too but I'd lean this way for what you're after.

Solder then heatshrink with hotmelt lined tubing on all the perm interconnects leading to and from........GL and take care of each other plz.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM..............I'd/I've used these http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/249/11172/
They're not underwater proof per-se, but close enough eh? Field dis-connectable, fuel/oil proof(mostly), low cost, found at auto-zones and would work/weather well in this app/eviro.

Low current = low V drop, so any connector resistance in these (very lil to begin with) can be also be neglected esp. in your fuel sensor app. BNC/Molex's would work too but I'd lean this way for what you're after.

Solder then heatshrink with hotmelt lined tubing on all the perm interconnects leading to and from........GL and take care of each other plz.

Ha sam, they certainly look like a viable connection option as well. Obviously you can't connect them up wrong, and that is a good things too. Thanks for the reply and option. :thumb: I am going to order all the different colors of wire tomorrow. Seems I located a marine wire company the sells tinned marine quality wire for a song AND offer to stripe wires to your liking. So we will see what they can do and order the wiring to manufacture the harness from the engine to the helm... I'm seriously trying to get every proper colored wire listed in the manufacture's shop manual for their engine. That way if,or when I sell this boat, years down the road, the next owner will be able to follow along with the shop manual to troubleshoot any problem that crops up. Thanks again!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright...finally a real update with real pictures. Not a huge jump in progress but it is still progress. Still feeling a little under the weather, but I'm going to push through it in hopes I start to feel better after I get in the swing of it again. I cut the seat bases today. And while I started out with mere 3/8" ( actually 11/32" I believe) the total thickness is amazing. I think the bases are now 5/8" thick with the fiberglass and polyester resin. So I honestly believe I could throw them off the top of the house and they would not even break or crack even a little. Amazing how strong they are now. So on with installing the piano hinges and lights and switches in them before installing them in the boat. I also cut the top section for the live well. And I think I will lap joint them together to offer a strong joint. Here are a few pictures;
Seat Base-1.JPG
I set the table saw for 2" and cut across the four sides
Seat Base-2.JPG
All you do is cut and rotate to the next side.
Seat Base-3.JPG
Now you have a perfect cut top and ready for the piano hinge.
Seat Base-4.JPG
You can see the clean cut and the thickness of the seat bases.
Seat Base-5.JPG
And here is the outside section for the live well. I cut the top section out of the plywood sheet now and will post those pictures when I get it ready to install as well. I am going to install magnetic switches in the seat bases, rod boxes and live well so when you open the lids on any of them, LED lights will come on. That way you can see what is in the boxes and live well even at night, only IF I have the helm toggle switch on. So there will be no possibility to leave a box open and run down the battery...

More to come...I hope.

You all have a great day... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Outstanding work gm ! Cool idea with the cooler /livewell ... :cool:
Btw , I have severe table saw envy ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Outstanding work gm ! Cool idea with the cooler /livewell ... :cool:
Btw , I have severe table saw envy ...

Sam would you believe that that table saw is an old old Craftsmen Cast iron 10" saw? It was actually my dad's and I wanted a more cabinet type setup. So a welded up a frame out of 1" square tubing and then 3/4" MDF top with white Formica contact glued on it. Then just dados along the slide sections and WALA, a cabinet saw. I can actually cut full sheets of plywood on it easily. Of course then I had to have a decent fence and picked the Biesemeyer selection. I can tell you that fence makes setup and cuts truly precise and quick as well with repeatable results. But I did also rebuild the trunion as well with new bearings and arbor and even a new motor. So it does what I want now and I'll keep it... The boat seat bases cut like butter and I can now hinge them and mount them...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, feeling even a little better today, I did some more work on the boat. I laid the two seat bases and the live well box in the boat today and measured and marked where they all will fit. And then I marked the center lines so I could drill out the holes for the poly tube I'm installing to run the wires to those boxes. Then using a 3/4" foster bit I drilled all the holes so I can install the poly tube before installing the floor for the final. I also cutout the area for the drain lines and inlet hoses to the live well and even drilled the new holes through some of the bulkheads. And with a few more holes to drill yet, I think I'm ready to install the floor for the final. Once that is done, I can start with the rod boxes next. I'd post pictures, but little holes in the floor really isn't something wondrous. But I will post updates when there is something to actually see... You all have a great day... :thumb:

P.S. I still have a little head congestion, but getting better daily...