1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice cart design. I've seen a few that were a little cumbersome, but yours looks real easy to use.

Oh and as I've said before your boat is gonna be solid as a rock when you're finished. Everything looks great.:encouragement:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice cart design. I've seen a few that were a little cumbersome, but yours looks real easy to use.

Oh and as I've said before your boat is gonna be solid as a rock when you're finished. Everything looks great.:encouragement:

Thanks tnstratofam for the kind words. If you look at the vacuum cart, I presently have a 4 gallon bucket installed, but the cutout and depth of the cart allows a 5 gal bucket. And a 5 gallon bucket fit perfectly as well. I just used one of the empty Cab-O-Sil buckets I have laying around. If I could figure out how to get the remaining Polyester Resin out of 5 gallon buckets, I would use one of them since I now have 4 sitting there. :eek:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A spatula from the dollar store followed by an acetone soaked rag gets it pretty clean.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A spatula from the dollar store followed by an acetone soaked rag gets it pretty clean.

nurseman, I actually though about pouring in some MEKP, I actually have a lot presently, and then mixing up what I can and letting it harden up. Then it would peel out easily. I realize the MEKP won't last too long anyways so we'll see. I just hate to just throw good 5 gallon buckets away. :noidea:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I really like your design. I might have to "Borrow" it for my shop!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I did make a Visio Drawing for this Shop Vac with Dust Deputy cart if anybody wants to make such a cart. Here is a crude drawing:
SVC-1.jpg
The 1.5" X 3" items are merely standard 2 x 4's that I rounded over the edges with a 1/2" round over router bit and then sanded them. Make the top and bottom plates the exact same outside dimensions, obviously, but only cut the top plate for your Shop Vac and the 5 gallon bucket openings. I left roughly 2" around the cutouts. The holes for my vacuum accessories were 1 3/8" in diameter. Check yours before cutting those holes. The hole for the 5 gallon bucket should be the exact same as the drawing, however, your Shop Vac could be a lot different in diameter then mine so again check that before cutting that hole out as well.

How I got that diameter of my Shop Vac was to take a piece of string and wrap it around the section of the Shop Vac where it will fit at the top plate, and mark it with a sharpies on both parts of where the string over-laps. Then lay the string out flat and measure that length between the sharpie marks. Then divide that length using the PIE function and you will get the diameter for that cutout. It works very well that way. The height for the 2 x 4 cuts are 10 1/4" long with the top and bottom plates 3/4" thick. With those dimensions your 5 gallon bucket will fit perfectly. I used MDF because I had it laying around. Use what you have. The casters are just rubber wheeled simple ones from Lowes. And it glides around effortlessly.

If you have any other questions, ask! I don't mind. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , how in the world do you find the time to do these cool projects ? Your a man of many talents !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm , how in the world do you find the time to do these cool projects ? Your a man of many talents !

Sam, I actually drew up the plans before cutting the cart out. So the crude plans were a go by for the cut out.

I will admit some times I have many different projects going on at one time. And that gets interesting as well. :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I just place an order for the stick steering assembly AND the engine tilt tube connection unit from Eze-Glid for this boat project. Not cheap, but it has to be bought anyway. So now I can install the steering assembly and the top section will be mostly done then. Now finish up the little issues. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I received the stick steering assembly today. :bounce: Only problem is, I'm not sure it is the correct size. :eek: Seem I have to find a clever way to use up the extra length some how. So tomorrow I will cut the feed through holes in the rod box bulkheads and see if I can lay it out and make it work. Otherwise, I may need to return it for shorter length. :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
From what I remember of the girls Ouchita ... The the cable on the stick steer was pretty stiff and not much room for moving the placement around ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A quick glance netted me

I would wonder how hard it would be for a feller to shorten on his own.

Being brand new, If this does turn out to be too long, I will swap it out with the company. I measured at least three different times, and once I came up with the total, it was in the middle of the footage range. So their web suggests to go to the next foot up. So I did. And it really looks like it is going to be real close to not fitting. Once I cut all the access holes, we'll see.

From what I remember of the girls Ouchita ... The the cable on the stick steer was pretty stiff and not much room for moving the placement around ... sphelphs wrote

Yes Sam it is a little stiff, but I can make it move around a little and hopefully use up the excess. It isn't like two feet too big, but if may be one foot too big. I will see more tomorrow. I actually measured using their method. And my measurements came out about 12' 3'' so they state to go to the next foot. So I went to 13' size. And that extra 9" is going to be interesting to use up. I believe a 12' 6" cable would have been better. But we'll see.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
EZy Glide website said:
IF CABLE IS TO BE SHORTENED, INCLUDE EXACT MEASUREMENTS OR MARK CABLE WITH TAPE.

Might be worth the tape and $25 to have it perfect rather than hope to stretch the shorter one the extra 3".

Just sayin, might be you flop that bad boy in there tomorrow, angels sing, and it fits just perfect.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
How MUCH too long is it???
WOG, I haven't yet drill the pass through(s). But it is certainly going to be really close. If it were a little shorter like 6" to a foot, I think it would fit without any issues. But since I was told to go to the next foot size up, it is really going to be interesting to see if I can run the cabling to the extreme sides of the hull to use up the length the best I can. If it is still too long, I will send it back and get the smaller size.

Measuring for cable length is tricky because not knowing what the finish length will be, a lot is up to both sides on the same page from the tape measurements. :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay folks, I tried. But no go with the stick steering. It is literally too long. Now if I cut a hole through the side of the hull and run the steering cable out of the boat and then back in, it will work. :eek:

So here are a few pictures. What do you all think? I already contacted the company to see what my next move is.
IMG_0118.JPG
Here is the initial layout before holes were drilled yet. If you look real close, you can see the end of it in the left-hand corner of the boat.
IMG_0119.JPG
This is the initial layout yet as well.
IMG_0120.JPG
And one last shot from the rear looking forward.
IMG_0121.JPG
This is a shot after the holes were drilled (except the exiting hole). And it just looks like it isn't going to work. If really need to be almost a foot shorter, 6 inches I may could work with. JMHO!

We'll see. :noidea:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I had a Chrysler BassBuster with Stick Steering and Based on your pics I'd say your assessment is Spot On. I'm thinking you're about a foot too long and I'm not seeing any way to "eat up the slack"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I had a Chrysler BassBuster with Stick Steering and Based on your pics I'd say your assessment is Spot On. I'm thinking you're about a foot too long and I'm not seeing any way to "eat up the slack"

Yea too bad you can unscrew something and cut the length you actual need and screw it back together again. But I've contacted them and waiting for a reply.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OR... you can make this the "hull extension 2" thread, cut the back off of that thing and add on another 12" or so.

Just a thought!