1976 starcraft rivets

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to I boats and have been doing research on replacing leaky rivet on my '76 starcraft. I hope this is the right thread to post in. All my leaky rivets are where the keel is joined to the boat. I have looked at other threads and found very good info but I have a few questions. What are the originall rivets called that are installed factory? I have an air hammer and body dollies to install them, What is the proper air pressure to use when hammering them in? I have read references to 5200 sealant to put on the rivet before installation, Who makes it? And what should I look for to ensure the rivet is seated and properly installed? I have tried sealants some worked better than others but eventually failed with the exception of Gluvit and am tired of having wet feet I wanna do it right. I have saw good and bad about closed end rivets and dont wanna have them fail and redo the job. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 starcraft rivets

Welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer to your question but I moved this thread down here to the Starcraft section because that's where many of the tin boat guys hang out. Someone will hopefully come along with an answer. You've stumbled upon probably the largest collection of Starcraft enthusiasts on the internet!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats Bubba, I used pop rivets with 3M 5200 to replace a few thru-hull keel rivets. They have held tight so far but time will tell.

I had a hard time finding closed rivets so I went this route. I have heard that Grainger or Fastenal has them but you have to order 500 minimum.:eek:

3M is the manufacturer of 5200 as mentioned above. I have no idea what pressure you'd use, I did mine with a hand tool. Maybe one of the other guys can help out more there.

Folks have used stainless bolts sealed with 5200 as well so maybe consider that. I believe that what North Beach did on one of his rigs and it has worked well too.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

fastenal sell then they are a solid rivit you just need the diamiter and the length they can get then in a day or two.. I was told I can order by singles didn't have to buy a hole box. and the preasure not sure I did mine by hand with someone inside and someone outside.
on the knee brace I used stainless steel counter sink screws with a counter sink washer and nylon locnut with wash on otherside and lots of 3M 5200... knee brace didn't leak after that.. then just did Gluvit..

kneeboltsbottom.jpg

kneeboltsrear.jpg

knee.jpg

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

Cool I have FASTENALL right down the road I will stop by and check 'em out. It's good to find a forum where us alum. boat owners can swap info. I must say I have tried the GluVit before and that is the best thing since sliced bread!!

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep i'm doing my leaktest tomorrow afternoon fingers crossed... :D

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

this will be my 3rd one. hopefully the last for now.