1976 Searay 888 Mercruiser

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay everyone first thing is first its a 1976, not 77.

Took her out on the Pacific with my wife and three kids today running up the coast line from Seal Beach to San Pedro inlets. Right around San Pedro area I managed to find a very calm waters and planed her or at least I felt like it was planed at 42 mph..magnificant if you ask me with that my bodies on board. I still think I had more but by that time my wife was like what???? LOL Then she said I know you were going fast when the road next to us had cars on it and you were keeping up with them.

What a nice ride we had and then moored up in Long Beach and ate at Shananigans Bar and Grille. Boat handle very well even on our way home through the 4 foot swells.

Two things, one I noticed mostly in the waves that the boat swerved from port to starboard a lot looking like a drunk boat coming through the water. Was tough keeping in steady and straight maybe it was normal due to the waves sizes idk? Two steering feels tight turning to the starboard side and when I turn back to port it feels like it gets slightly stuck then releases? Any way I can greese up the steering system behind the in board? I can see where the steering rams are but I did not see any greese. Of course boat was mostly in Lake water and now I want to make sure I have things greesed up well and washed down properly to reduce any corosion. Any thoughts on these two ideas or not specific enough?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1976 Searay 888 Mercruiser

There should be a couple of grease zerks on the steering ram inside the boat on the back wall. There is also a zerk on the top of the gimbal housing outside the boat above the drive. Finally, if the boat pulls to one side out the other while on smooth water, you should have a small anode fin above the prop that is adjustable to counteract the prop torque affecting the steering.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Could you be more specific to this adjustable fin? Maybe a link? It has two rubber fins mounted to the drive now that I don't believe are adjustable so an I was told to ditch those. I greesed all fittings on stern drive ill look tomorrow for some inside near transom.

haulnazz15

Captain

Rubber fins? I assume you have one of those "whale tails" on it to help with planing. Generally, on boats of that vintage without power steering, there is a metal "fin" anode that it just above/behind the prop. It hangs down right behind the prop, and is usually 3-4" long. This fin is adjustable in fin-angle, which is used to correct the "pull" of the steering in one direction or the other.

It's kind of far away, but you can see the fin above my prop in this pic.

IMG_0721.jpg

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I see that fin, turns out mine does have one. The other fins I was referring to are the Dohl Fins or something like that.

Also what are these? Discovered today that my wires were snapped and not attached to these items. This have anything to do with my steering since they have greese fittings on them thinking maybe that is why steering is tight?photo(11).JPGphoto(10).JPG

If so and I know the wires should be intact so I will need to fix that, I will need to remove the stern drive to do this huh? Where can I buy the wiring for this or do I not need anything special for wires?

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Actually just realized those are the trim sender switches right? So nothing to do with steering just only trim the motor up and down? Doesn't appear to have issues going up or down so what do they do?

haulnazz15

Captain

Those are the trim limit and trim sensor wires. They only affect your trim gauge and where the trim "up" limit is before you have to use the up/out button to tilt the drive all the way up for trailering. That said, the grease zerks there are for the hinge pins for up/down movement. You should get a couple pumps of grease on each one once a year or so.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay so would it be wise to replace wiring then? Figured if they are broke that may or may not allow water to seep into the bilge via gimbal bearing setup?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

One more thing is a 17 pitch prop appropriate for this setup? Keep in mind it's a 888 stern drive. Boat came with one installed and a spare 17 pitch prop.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

toss the doel fin stuff in the garbage... they cause more problems than they are worth for an I/O

the trim "wires" come in a kit with two new sensors with molded on rubber "cork" that clamps into the transom assembly... if you want to replace them do a bellows change at the same time as they have to come out to do the job
The trim sender kit costs about $75 .... if it isn't bothering you don't worry about it

I had a 19 on my 20' 198 hp cuddy.... look at your rpm's at WOT... that will tell you if your prop is right

haulnazz15

Captain

^ agreed, Smoke.

The Doel Fin or "whale tail" is usually a poor addition to the boat. If you are having issues with planing, I'd get smart tabs.

No reason to replace the trim sensors unless you think you need an operating trim gauge or can't tell when you've trimmed to far up.

We can't tell you if the prop is correct without other info. We'd need wide-open throttle (WOT) rpms and speed (preferably GPS) to determine if the prop has you in the correct operating range. Should be somewhere between 3800-4200 rpm for your engine I think.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay everyone thanks for this knowledge. So when I drive my boat I don't ever mess with the raising or lowering of engine or in other words trimming up/down when driving boat. Never seem to have issues and my bow is relatively level most of time and defiantly while I have smooth water. So having the gauge read correctly for trimming I don't think I will worry so much right now.

One thing is for sure though I will replace the bellows and does it come in a kit with everything needed such as gaskets, hoses, bearing?

I discovered another issue though and it's motor related something I will need to figure out on my own. Oil leak but appears to be from bottom of inboard I think,.....when I pulled my bilge plug out came oil with little to no water which no water was a good thing but oil not so good. I can't tell if it is the trim pump leaking or my inboard engine so this part is going to be a pita to find. Pulled dip stick and it seemed low I think I narrowed my search but now to find out where it could be leaking from. Oil pan, oil pan plug, valve covers, or bell housing area idk!????? Thanks for all your help everyone this far.

WOT speed is 42 mph just didn't think to check RPM

Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain

You should use your trim. Generally speaking, it should be fully "in" (down) when at idle/low speed, and trimmed "up" once you get on plane and get to cruising speed. You trim up until the prop blows out or the boat begins to porpoise (bounce up and down), then trim back in a bit. It makes steering much easier and increases fuel efficiency. Driving around with the bow plowing the water wastes fuel and makes steering tough, especially without power steering. That may be a large part of what is causing your steering issues at speed.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

There are 3 different sources for oils/fluids, engine, power steering and hydraulic trim tab pump (if you have them).
Yup, PITA to find at times.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

No power steering that I'm aware of but I do have a hyro trim tab pump and so far around the hoses no signs of any leaks. I noticed today though when I ran my finger down by the bell housing/fly wheel cover was wet with oil. I really hope it is just the oil pan leaking up above and running down but it may just be something else. Hopefully I can service this without paying a fortune but it might come down to removing the inboard motor to complete the job. And if that is the case I might as well re-paint the motor and clean her up very nice. argggg.....I hope this is not the case I don't have the space right now for this job..... :)

haulnazz15

Captain

No power steering that I'm aware of but I do have a hyro trim tab pump and so far around the hoses no signs of any leaks.

Do you have trim tabs, or are you talking about the hydraulic trim pump for your outdrive? Also, I would check the reverse lockout (and possibly the trim sender on the inner transom plate (behind engine) for leaks. The trim pump has a line that runs to the shift bracket on the rear of the engine, which could leak, too. Also tighten the valve covers a bit.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry was referring to the hydro trim pump for my stern drive. I will check lines again as well as tighten some bolts down that will not hurt and fairly easy to do.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You mentioned "steering rams" in the first post, are you sure there is no power steering pump on the front of the engine?