1976 Manatee Center Console -- The Floor Must Come Out

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Get the 40 running if not too costly and sell it ... Might recoup some of the cost of a bigger motor ... The 40 would prolly push it around ok but the 60 or 70 would push faster and still be safe ... My MFG is 5 hp over and I never feel it's too much power or unsafe ... Except maybe when my son in law is running it ! :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey Greg ... If ya haven't already taken the console out could you take a measurement for me ? If you get the chance would you measure either from the transom or the bow and tell me what you have to the front or back of the console .. I think I may have planned mine to be a little closer to the center of the boat than where yours is fastened down ... Not that it makes much difference now .. I have already run my chases under the deck so I don't have much choice on where I mount it ..
Not meaning to hijack but this is so cool to compare with the same boat as I had really nothing to go by ..

Greglous

Seaman
sphelps I probably should repair the 40 -- even if I do decide to upgrade. I will gather some measurements in the morning for you. The console isn't a "traditional' console. It's off centered -- further back -- than usual. It's certainly interesting to have someone to exchange ideas with. This company is so obscure that finding information is quite the task. Have you put any though into the sidewalls? How do you plan on strengthening? I haven't began to cut stuff out yet, but I have been cleaning up the sidewalls/gun whales. Still bouncing around some ideas for strengthening up the sides. I will update with photos soon!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I will build something back on the sides just not sure yet . I may opt for some side storage instead of filling with foam .. Or at least a few compartments and foam in-between .. Might be enough room for some tackle or F/E maybe idk ..

Greglous

Seaman
sphelps Measring from the inside of the transom, the console sits roughly 59" forward. I might actually place it a few inches further forward for weight distribution purposes. I might try to get closer to the 6' mark. If you want some measurements on the gutter rails, I can grab those for you too. This time, you can have the measurements beforehand. lol