1976 Evinrude 15 Questions

chevysam41

Seaman
Ha! I would've never thought to use a drop cord. I'll give it a shot if I get to that stage.

I ordered a spark tester...I'm going out of town for work tomorrow so I'll try it next weekend hopefully...

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Ha! I would've never thought to use a drop cord. I'll give it a shot if I get to that stage.

I ordered a spark tester...I'm going out of town for work tomorrow so I'll try it next weekend hopefully...

You can make a spark tester also.

spark_tester.jpg

chevysam41

Seaman
Ran out last night and got a spark plug tester- motor is making great spark. I also got new spark plugs (and re gapped) but that did not cure the issue.

Before I did the decarb, it would start within 3 pulls on a 30* morning. Now, I'm having to fight it to start at all. When it does start, I have to choke it, pull a few times, push the choke in, pull a few times and then it will usually start somewhere in there. When it does start, it will rev up, smoke heavily and then idle down and die within 5-10 seconds...like it's running out of gas. Then the process restarts.

I pulled the carb this morning before I left town and didn't see any obvious obstructions but I didn't have time to pull the core plugs and do a rebuild. I'm getting good spark, and fuel to the carb (I can see it in the transparent line). I'm thinking the problem is somewhere in the carb as oldboat1 mentioned. Is it possible some carbon broke loose when I did the decarb? What do you guys think? Anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience!

chevysam41

Seaman
Rebuilt the carb and it's running fine again. Now if I can work out the excess play from the tiller handle...