1976 36' Chris Craft Commander Trim Tabs "Needed"?

akitawpo

Recruit
I have a 1976 Chris Craft Tournament with turbo Cummins 555s. The factory trim tabs were removed by the previous owner and was never able to try and see if they would be an improvement, I am looking at Bennet 36x12 external trim tabs if I get positive feedback on needing them. Currently crusing at around 16knots, it feel like the front could ride lower and maybe improve speed / efficiency. Any input of owners with trim tabs working would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1712759778547.jpg
    FB_IMG_1712759778547.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Trim tabs help level a boat, and if lowered further will push the bow down. With pushing bow down the stern can also move up, but not the same amount. Tabs in all cases increase drag, and the increase drag will reduce fuel economy.

akitawpo

Recruit
Welcome
Trim tabs help level a boat, and if lowered further will push the bow down. With pushing bow down the stern can also move up, but not the same amount. Tabs in all cases increase drag, and the increase drag will reduce fuel economy.
Thanks for your reply. I'm clear on the functionality of trim tabs and you have explained / confirm this. What I was trying to find was an owner who had this hull and had feeback on how the boat performed with them or without them. Im trying to decide if the money spent will be worth it.

Last edited: