1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

If you are just going to hit the rivets and seams I think it will be close, but you might be ok with the smaller kit. I did a 16' and 12' boat with one small kit.

Of course if you're going to slather it on everywhere under the deck get the big one.

Another thing is if you do run out of gluvit you could use normal epoxy resin in a few spots as well.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If you are just going to hit the rivets and seams I think it will be close, but you might be ok with the smaller kit. I did a 16' and 12' boat with one small kit.

Of course if you're going to slather it on everywhere under the deck get the big one.

Another thing is if you do run out of gluvit you could use normal epoxy resin in a few spots as well.

I am thinking a careful job on the riviets/seams. If you got a 12' and the 16' I think I can swing the 2 lb.

Thanks partner!

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man! i really like this boat bro!

I can totally see me, a boat bum, living, fishing, and working from a boat like this docked in a river port LOL. On a serious note tho i did live on my fathers 25 ft trojan express for about a year when i was training to enter the military. That boat had about a 10 ft beam and a TON of inside room. It was docked at Holiday Point marina on the ohio river. Perfect place to go concentrate and do a traditional earthen workout routine for getting ready to go into a R.I.P contract for 6 years. I LOVED IT! Best damn year of my life. Only the things needed to sustain life onboard and plenty of country to run/climb/swim and be wild.

Gotta love boats with cuddies and cabins etc. I need to pay some attention to my ol mans 25 footer this year also. She has been sittin a while and needs some TLC. Boat was winterized 4 years ago, and the motor was just dropped in. Has less than 15 hours on it. Time to bring her back to life i guess.

Great boat man! I am really enjoying your thread.
Thanks!
RC

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man! i really like this boat bro!

Thanks man!!

I dig your handle man! Your profile doesn't indicate where you are from but I am guessing I can rule out the Hamptons or the San Fransisco Bay area.

Cheers Buddy!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Few minutes on the transom today...

Before...
P1010807.jpg

After 220...
P1010808.jpg

Primed with 2 light passes of self etching zinc chromate...
P1010814.jpg

Nothing special, just one more small step closer. Cheers!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

I use brass wire wheels on aluminum.They don't cause galvanic corrosion if some stray wires get left in the hull.

That is the first aluminum V hull I've seen with the drain plug hole high and off to the side.Flat bottoms and glass boats I have seen done that way.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I use brass wire wheels on aluminum.They don't cause galvanic corrosion if some stray wires get left in the hull.

That is the first aluminum V hull I've seen with the drain plug hole high and off to the side.Flat bottoms and glass boats I have seen done that way.

Good tip ben!

Yah, I think that is pretty silly where that is there. That hole will actually end up as the supply for a livewell. I'll be adding a new bilge drain right down at the bottom of that V there. Makes a lot more sense, eh!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Good tip ben!

Yah, I think that is pretty silly where that is there. That hole will actually end up as the supply for a livewell. I'll be adding a new bilge drain right down at the bottom of that V there. Makes a lot more sense, eh!

I agree.Good reuse of a thru hull.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jas looking good

i went to a marina today to buy some gluvit, 70% OFF 7.00 for a 2lb kit

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

jas looking good

i went to a marina today to buy some gluvit, 70% OFF 7.00 for a 2lb kit

:eek::eek:

Dude, pick up two more for me and I'll pay ya to ship em my way!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Good progress Jas...whadda ya say? 4th of july splash? Think I'll make it by then

2012 lol

sprintst

Commander

I think I just paid about 70. If I were you I'd buy everything they have...

jspano

Dude, pick up two more for me and I'll pay ya to ship em my way!

it was the last they had, it wasn't too old, i bought the last one they had 2 months ago. new mgr. i grab it flipped my card and she says you need 20.00 to charge??????? everything on this rack is 70% off. i looked for anything else, p/u some skidless additive 3.00, then went around try to get to 20.00
ended up with a tube of 4200 and some acetone everything came to 27.00, still less than i expected to pay for the gluvit.

tomorrow i go to a trailer shop for some u-bolts and hope to stop up @ crystal river to meet some guys @ tinstock

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dang..They moved Tinstock to the Florida iboat site??

I was on the comittee and I didnt even know that..lol
Lots of good people there..TD, Nlain, triumphrick..Sad that I wont be there

jspano

i should have said the fl get together.... my bad

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good progress Jas...whadda ya say? 4th of july splash? Think I'll make it by then

2012 lol

A couple of you fellas keep encouraging me to a 2010 voyage with this boat, man that would be sooooo tough. So tough. I do appreciate the encouragement but I'll tell you what, at my pace, I have such a looooooong way to go!

I am just glad that you guys don't know that I am super competitive and that being "challenged" v. "encouraged" would likely have different results. Yah, I am just glad that you guys don't know that.

:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

it was the last they had, it wasn't too old, i bought the last one they had 2 months ago. new mgr. i grab it flipped my card and she says you need 20.00 to charge??????? everything on this rack is 70% off. i looked for anything else, p/u some skidless additive 3.00, then went around try to get to 20.00
ended up with a tube of 4200 and some acetone everything came to 27.00, still less than i expected to pay for the gluvit.

tomorrow i go to a trailer shop for some u-bolts and hope to stop up @ crystal river to meet some guys @ tinstock

Rats! Glad you snatched it up man! I sure do love deals like that!

jspano

felt like a kid in a candy shop with an extra 20.00, or my wife in any store w/my credit card LOL

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of you fellas keep encouraging me to a 2010 voyage with this boat, man that would be sooooo tough. So tough. I do appreciate the encouragement but I'll tell you what, at my pace, I have such a looooooong way to go!

I am just glad that you guys don't know that I am super competitive and that being "challenged" v. "encouraged" would likely have different results. Yah, I am just glad that you guys don't know that.

:D

Hmmm, I could say, "I bet I get my boat stripped and painted before you do!" :D

...but when you blow right past me and have all the paint AND woodwork done...I'll be all out of steam. :redface:

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, I paid 128.00 for a 8# can of it w free shipping and I thought I was doing good. I take it this epoxy is for the floor sealing? How much would you say you'll have in your floor... plywood, epoxy, and carpet, products and shipping?

5 speed