1976 200 (20hp) mercury outboard lno ow idle?

fishkilla22

Cadet
I'm having trouble starting my 1976 200 20hp mercury Difficult to get going and when it finally starts,.. its rpm sor and then the outboad quits. Is it a bad low speed coil?I dont want to do any harm so this only happened 2/3 times and I put it back away.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 200 (20hp) mercury outboard lno ow idle?

i would say idle circuit in carb.... may be dirty.... clean carb :) universal answer i know... but really your likely flooding it then having it lean out on you... this will cause hard to start followed by a rev if your timing is advanced far enough. 1st make sure carb is happy and working well... 2nd make sure timing plate moves its full travel... it will move before the carb begins to open and will continue moving after the carb closes if it is set right. they will run.... but poorly with the timing very far off of optimal. There is a method described in the manual that explains how to set timing by putting the #1 piston to TDC and setting the timing to ??* i cant remember the degrees. you will be amazed at what proper timing will do for you. now the next question I have is have you messed with the timing or had someone else mess with it because it is critical to the longevity of your engine that it be right. same for fuel air mixture. I am unaware of any animal called a low speed coil... there is a low speed circuit in the carb but that is a fuel circuit. Also since you are busy pulling on the cord or using the starter might as well take a compression test at the same time.

by the way i have that same engine and a 78... the 76 turned into a parts donor for my 78 (which runs like the proverbial swiss watch)

Sean