1976 2 hp Evinrude; Won't go Fast

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been working on a 1976 2 hp Evinrude. I have replaced the ignition system, the spark plug, spark plug wire, fuel line, fuel shut-off valve, impeller, and totally rebuilt the carb. The motor starts on the first pull but it will not go fast, in fact it has one speed, it will not go slow and it will not go fast, it wants to stay at the "Start" level. I tore the carb down again thinking there must be an obstruction but can't find one. I replaced the fuel filter/shut-off valve thinking that might be defective, but no improvement. I found out the cam was installed backwards, and I was SURE that was the problem. Again, no improvement.

I have a 1974 2 hp Evinrude which goes REALLY fast, and also REALLY slow, so I know it can be done. Compression on the 1976 is 90 psi which I understand is acceptable for this motor. I am stumped. Please advise. Thanks.

kbait

Commander
Re: 1976 2 hp Evinrude; Won't go Fast

Ensure the armature plate is advancing normally, and it's cam opens the carb throttle butterfly fully closed at stop and fully open at fast. Did you replace needle valve packing when you kitted the carb? Forget the nozzle (boss) gasket upon re-assembly? Confirm the bowl could vent to atmosphere isn't plugged? Float is parallel w/carb body when inverted?

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will check all of these items and report back. Thanks

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Problem resolved. I re-cleaned all the passages. Also, the kit I bought had a rubber nozzle gasket instead of the usual cork. It was bigger in diameter and also wider (taller). I think the float may have been getting hung up on this thing. I tossed it and put in the old-time cork type. I don't really understand why the cork gasket has been replaced with this rubber thing.

The motor now starts on the first pull, idles nicely, and accelerates big-time. Thanks much.