1975 Starcraft 16' SS

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, basically done with the transom. Came out great for the most part. I went ahead and gave the splash well a fresh coat of paint while I had it out. I have also been in the process of completely re-wiring as well. I still have wires everywhere but should have all that cleaned up in the next day or two so please forgive the mess.

I have decided not to go back with the sliding doors under the splash well. I never had the doors to start with or any of the hardware. I would like to cover that area up. Has anyone done anything else besides the doors? I want to say I have seen some folks make up curtains or something to that effect. Any ideas back there would be appreciated and if someone has any pictures of something that they have done different I would love to see them.

dozerII

Admiral
Looking good jd, on the Naked Lady I used a piece a of marine vinyl fastened at the top to the under side of the splash well with a 1 inch strip of 1/8 in aluminum rivets, I kept it up and inch off the floor for air circulation, and made a pocket in the bottom to put in a length of stainless steel tubing to add weight and rigidity. Then a short length of 1" webbing with a snap to fasten the bottom corners to stop it from flopping around. You can see it here in the pictures in post 236 http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...craft-boats/541427-1987-16-ss/page16?t=528421

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Splashwell looks great! Glens method is great and looks supurb. I also need to close up under my splashwell yet. I'm toying with a hinged setup of some sort, maybe with some flip up stool tops for extra seating attached. My biggest concern, is easy access to the space underneath to get at the bilge if needed and to load fuel. (I just run portable tanks) My starting battery lives under there also. Ventilation is a must also. Glens job on the Naked lady is what I would go with if I didnt want flip up seats.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I know you're not finished with the rigging and wiring under the splashwell but be sure to use a battery tray or box secured to the deck so that battery's + doesn't find it's way to ground under there. Not to mention leak on your deck.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys! Glen, that is one sharp SS you have there! It looks great! Thanks for the link to your pictures. I will explore that route.

Watermann, I do have a battery box. Once I get done with the wiring I will get the battery secured.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
This is what I have in my 73 Nova. It has snaps down in the lower corners, but the vinyl has shrunk over time enough so they wont reach to snap.

Last edited:

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is what I have in my 73 Nova. It has snaps down in the lower corners, but the vinyl has shrunk over time enough so they wont reach to snap.

I like that! You said that you used snaps. Anyway to get a close up of how you did it?

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign

[url]http://s32.photobucket.com/user/whit6419/media/boat3_zps6mgdidpy.jpg.html
boat3_zps6mgdidpy.jpg
[/URL]

Umm, we're going to need to see some pics of this rare birdšŸ˜ƒ Maybe start a new thread with some additional details??

My Nova had long lost her splashwell skirt, but the lower snap brackets are still affixed to the aluminum side supports.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
This is all original. I bought the boat from the original owners so I can't take credit for it splashwell skirt.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice!! Thanks for the pictures. I am going to make some sort of curtain/skirt. I just haven't figured what yet.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Mine has some kind of heavy rod in the bottom of it to help it hang straight.

Last edited: