1975 SS 16' Rebuild

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

Curse you for causing me to go out to the garage and take my life into my hands climbing up to see what I had on the shelf. I checked.....I have used 2 different porch and floor paints recently. One on my boat and one on the stairs in my basement. Both dried REALLY quick, like in minutes........both cans are Valspar.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thaks for checking for me EZ I will be returning the can this morning I wake up to it still not dry thats...like 56 hours since I painted it I hope I dont end up having to use a rag and thinner and cleaning this stuff up if it wont dry.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok problem solved, the guy at lowes said that you need to allow the first coat to cure before applying the second coat. Give the first coat 24 hours and if it needs another coat do it then. OOOPS

Good to know :) I did learn something today!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still working at it guys, just nothin exciting waiting for resin and paint to dry... But soon I will have beautiful tin can pictures to post I promise.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I carpeted and mounted the fronts to the consoles. Colors look a little different in the pics than in real life. I let Toni pick out the colors since shes a whole heck of a lot prettier than me and I do have to say they are really coming together nicely! Tomorrow I will be cleaning and power washing the hull... Its supposed to 21 degrees tomorrow :eek: this should be fun!!

SANY2027.jpgSANY2026.jpg

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

3616.jpgI am veneering and putting marine vinyl on my side consoles, as well as the interior side.

Follow the closepins?

My fronts are carpeted, you see the sides in royal blue.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I tried washing my car at a do-it-yourself car wash once when the temps were in the 20s. Sure I knew water froze at 32 degrees but I didn't know it did it like immediately! That did not go well.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You make a valid point EZ scrach the power washing... I have enough to do without doing that tomorrow. I think I might carpet the aft side of the wood on the console. Does that make sense?? LOL Did you uys carpet/ vinyl the back sides of the wood on your consoles? If not is it very noticeable or worth the extra effort?

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

My bulks are carpeted on both sides, the side support is veneered with 1/4" Luan covered in marine vinyl on both sides, and I am carpeting the dash tops. No exposed metal.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ and Starman, Hey your project is looking good! I will definetly be wrapping both sides now. And thank you very much for the pic EZ definetly shows how much you would see it left the way I have it now.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

No pictures for the day guys sorry but I did get some work done. We wire wheeled the inside of the hull a bit. Thats going to be quite the job.
I also cut out the wood for the side interior pieces that will be wrapped in vinyl. I made the rear seat boxes and cut the plywood for those also. I cut my ski locker out and all my holes for the pedestal mounts. so basically what I did today is made a whole lot more wood for me to seal up :rolleyes:, That part of this project is getting really annoying. I keep telling myself it will be worth it when I dont have to redo this project again in another 10 years. I also curse the chemistry gods who made PT chemicals and aluminum corrode:mad::mad::mad:

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So i did my first piece of flooring with the vinyl and im not very happy I have quite a few lumps and bumps. How did you guys avoid this?? Any tips or adivce?
SANY2029.jpg

You cant see them real well in the picture its not horrible but more obvious than I would like.

I'm going to be doing the transom tomorrow. What kind of wood did you guys use?
I read through your rebuild EZ and it talked about plywood with different abbreviations. All I know is outdoor indoor and PT.

Would a couple pieces of 3/4 outdoor resined together work? What was the thickness you guys used?

Thanks!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey FJ, a bunch of us have been impressed with Arauco Exterior Grade Plywood. I believe that one piece will be sufficient to yield two 3/4 pieces to be laminated together. One of the 16' OB guys may chime in here to correct me if I am off on that, but I am pretty sure that is par for the course.

Cheers!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm currently rebuilding my transom with 2 pieces of 3/4" Arauco ply...got it from Menard's on the west side of town for $28/sheet.

It's some quality ply and much cheaper than marine grade. Very few voids in it and very flat.

On the marine vinyl my only recommendation is to start with the piece folded, get one side flat and then smooth it out from the middle first.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice guys!
I'm still going back and forth on the transom wether to wait a year and tackle that next winter or not.
I wont be doing it tomorrow now, I got some overtime for tonight. Seems my chief thinks were going to get some flurries around the area ;) and wants to put a second engine crew on for the night. I'm not sure what thats all about... LOL
I fixed the wrinkles in my vinyl. I used a rolling pin seems I may have put a little to much glue on the vinyl. I worked out a good amount and that got rid of my ridges and bumps.
I always over do stuff I was wondering why on my first piece of flooring I went through half the can ooops.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I'm thinking through ways to paint the boat without flipping. what do you guys think of hoisting the boat from the bow eyelet, and the transom eyelets?? Do you think it will hold the weight of the boat I cant get the garage warm enough to paint right now. So my thoughts were to finish the boats interior and then when its warmer lifting the boat off the trailer using the eyelets as lift points and painting like that.

Any thoughts??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That will work but it will be easier to flip it. I flipped my 18' without too much trouble with the help of 3 friends. Put it on 3 cheapo Harbor Freight furnitre dollies which made it really nice to move it around the garage.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If you do decide to lift it, you can also use 2x4s placed under the gunwales as an additional anchor points.

The more weight distribution the better.:)

I may very well be doing the same very soon to prep for paint.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, your eye bolts can handle the weight as long as nothing silly happens in the lift - nice and easy, eh.

The route I am taking on the Islander is I tilted it (completely stripped and gutted) so I could access the bottom hull and painted, let it cure, and set it down. Now, I'll finish building just about everything else, then paint the rest.

My main motivation for this route was just dealing with the size, a 22' cabin boat doing summer salts is a bit of a trick compared to an open bow 16'. I am really glad I went this route as every time I work on it I have tools, and dust, and carp all over the place. I surely would have mucked up a paint job had I painted first then rebuilt.

Could you get the garage warm enough for a few days to just hit the hull with paint? Might be worth a passing thought anyway. Having your rig flipped would absolutely make the sand or strip/prep/paint process way easier.

Cheers!