1975 Johnson 75 horsepower stinger

swede44641

Cadet
Motor runs beautiful at the start runs great until I throttle down or turn it off then when I go to throttle up it bogs down and dies. It has new coils new plugs fresh fuel any ideas

gm280

Supreme Mariner
swede44641, I have to say I think this is in your fuel delivery system and that would be in the three carbs. So maybe its time to buy carb kits and rebuild the three carbs on that engine. And make certain you get the proper carb kit for the two different types you have as well. The middle carb is slightly different then the upper and lower carbs. So buy the proper kits and remove them and disassembly them and clean them. If you haven't already bought the factory shop manual for your engine, I would highly suggest you buy the manufacturer's shop manual and follow their step by step carb works... JMHO!

fireman57

Captain
Is this engine new to you or did it just start doing this? If it is new to you I believe there was a service bulletin on it and you need to drill the pickup tubes and rejet it. Try this first, when it starts to bog push the key in or hit your primer switch and see if it takes off. If it ran fine before then the service bulletin won't pertain to you and just clean/rebuild the carbs.

swede44641

Cadet
Decided to deal with this problem over the winter I'm going to rebuild all three carburetors does anyone know if the carburetor rebuild kit comes with instructions

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The carbs are easy when you get the kits you will be suprised how easy they are. One thing to set float levels just hold the carb upside down and set the float to level you do not need a gauge. Before you put it away try this when it is running and you accelerate pump the primer ball if it accelerates fuel pump issues.

Last edited:

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Carbs are easy to rebuild. Removing them was the hardest thing to figure out until i saw this youtube video showing how easy it is to remove the 'linkage'. Not the same motor as yours (or mine :)) but it gives you the idea. Also take a lot of pictures before you start removing things. If this link works......60 HP Johnson VRO Evinrude Carburator Rebuild - YouTube