1975 Johnson 70 HP 70ESL75B

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 1975 Johnson 70-HP outboard. The motor seemed to run fine, but it had a slight leak coming from the top carburetor. I purchased the motor figuring the cause of the leak in the top carburetor was a float or gasket. The previous owner had mentioned that he just rebuilt the top carb himself. I took off the top carburetor, and I am scratching my head: I was looking for a low speed pick-up tube similar to picture 12 and 13 at the link below.
Should there be one on this engine? I have the brass surround, but no internal tube?

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showt...-With-Pictures

Thank you for your time!

Aaron

Bosunsmate

Admiral
That link didnt work
That motors just got orifice jets and the valve seat/float for fuel shut off/flow

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Compare it to one of the other carbs. The top and bottom ones are the same, the middle one has the added roller. Check out the exploded factory parts diagrams: epc.brp.com

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Attached is a photo depicting the pick up tube that my top carb does not have. I have the brass surround, but no internal tube.

Thoughts? I appreciate your help and time!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I looked in my 76 factory manual and it does not show that wee tube.--------Doubt that the 75 model has these.--------Just proves once again that not all motors are the same.------Look for that feature on newer models than 1975.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you!! What manual do you have? I have a service manual for a '77 - is there something other than a service manual that is recommended?

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Aside from the manual question above, is there a resource online that sells fuel lines? Specifically, looking for the small carb lines, but I would like to replace all internal lines.

Thank you!