1975 Johnson 40 hp thermostat help locate

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just got a 1975 40 hp 40RL 75 -c I have a generic clymer manual but the photos are junk I cannot make out where the t-stat is supposed to be, I also looked at Marineengine.com and there pics were no better & the parts list does not list a t-stat so, please straight 'N me out here.. got the old motor purring like a kitten but no water coming out so impeller is on the way, but I want to check/replace the t-stat if needed. thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1975 Johnson 40 hp thermostat help locate

Thermostat is part number 0378065
Its inside the water cover at the rear so you will probably want that gasket too.
Sometimes i just dress mine with a gasket sealer and dont replace it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 40 hp thermostat help locate

I just got a 1975 40 hp 40RL 75 -c I have a generic clymer manual but the photos are junk I cannot make out where the t-stat is supposed to be, I also looked at Marineengine.com and there pics were no better & the parts list does not list a t-stat so, please straight 'N me out here.. got the old motor purring like a kitten but no water coming out so impeller is on the way, but I want to check/replace the t-stat if needed. thanks

Okay, I have a 1976 Johnson 40 HP engine and it doesn't have a thermostat at all. And I just finished looking at your engine on here and I don't see any thermostat on yours either. The number supplied by Bosunsmate 0378065 is indeed a thermostat that even goes on Johnsons and Evinrudes but not for any 40 HP engine from either of them... It skips all 40 HP engines for some reason. Why they decided to not install a thermostat on the 40's is anyone's guess... Hope this helps... :joyous: