1975 johnson 115 hp.

cluke3

Seaman
motor ran fine the last time about 2 month ago .today it fired 1 time and would not start
checked plugs and found no spark could this be a bad power pack,
any help .thanks

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 johnson 115 hp.

your motor requires a FULLY CHARGED BATTERY! not almost.get it charged then retry.let us know what you get. harbor freight carries a battery maintainer for like $5 works awesome. good luck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

out board won't start thread in the faq section

cluke3

Seaman

if the starter is drawing to many amps will this cause the problem

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

test for electrical, there are several pages here, find the part for your motor.

"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page28.asp"

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

cluke, could be any number of things...you really need a manual though. thats the best money you'll ever spend on your motor. If your not getting spark could be powerpacks...could be a coil...can you isolate the problem? Is if one plug?? one bank?? or all of them?? If one plug could be a coil..switch coils and see if the problem follows...if bank...switch powerpacks around see if problem follows. If all of them check all conections...WELL...get some terminal cleaner and spray in each of the connectors and make sure you are getting good contact. If none of that works you really need a manual and do all the electrical diagnosises that are in the book. They are really straight foward...only thing that you need that you may not is a DVA. You are in the right place..I know some more folks will chime in...they really helped me out when I was at the end of my rope...I did all the tests and replaced some parts...some of which needed it...some didn't..lol. Let us know what you find out.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Best to check your electronics by the numbers, starting with disconnecting the black and yellow kill wire to be sure that your circuit is not grounding the powerpack.

Check for spark with all of the spark plugs removed. See the 4 cylinder check list here:

http://www.boatpartstore.com/page30.asp

cluke3

Seaman

found stater was not turning the engine over fast enought the brushes and the brush plate were bad but cant find the parts for this starter --prestolite
any help finding these parts or should i go with a bosch

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The Prestolite kits are available here at iboats. Your local auto starter rebuild shop will probably do the rebuild for less than half the cost of a new one.

cluke3

Seaman

thanks for all the help found the parts i needed at wholesale marine on ebay
best price i found. for starter parts

cluke3

Seaman

rebuilt my starter and had to replace the power pack starts and runs fine now