1975 7.5 merc

Eaglesfan85

Recruit
Ok so I bought a 7.5 merc lastnight runs great. But I put it in the drum lastnight to play with it and it was dark and I looked at stop button and I seen little sparks. And I don't think its normal. Any suggestions or tips??? Ty

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1975 7.5 merc

If your engine is a 1975 and the engine ran and there was arcing then the kill switch is shorting to ground a little better change it as it is a ground off engine. If it was a earlier engine the the switch needs to be removed cleaned up and reinstalled a it is a ground to run engine

Eaglesfan85

Recruit

If your engine is a 1975 and the engine ran and there was arcing then the kill switch is shorting to ground a little better change it as it is a ground off engine. If it was a earlier engine the the switch needs to be removed cleaned up and reinstalled a it is a ground to run engine[/QUOTE. So I have discoverd that I'm missing the rubber part and spring that covers outside of button?? Could that be causing the arc.. Also is it normal for just one wire to lead down to back of switch??? Ty

Laddies

Banned

Wiyh 1 wire to the switch, belive that is a littlt older whan 1975 and the swiitch has to be grounded for the engine to run, put a jumper to ground to the switch terminal and see if it runs (Use caution as this wire has 150 volts plus when running)if the engine runs with the jumper in place take the switch out clean the hole and outside of the switch repair it and reinstall it here's the parts list. :: iShopMarine.com ::