1975 25 HP Johnson Trim Tilt

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I'm bringing my 25 HP Johnson to a mechanic next week to get some work done on it. At this point I'm unable to trim the motor up because some of the parts are missing off the motor. The mechanic tried to caution me that these parts can be very expensive to replace, but most of the parts on the schematic for my motor are in the $30-$40 range. Looking at the schematic myself it's hard to tell what parts I need exactly that aren't already on the engine. I'm going to attach a picture of the tim and whats on my motor, hopefully you guys can help!

EDIT: Did some further research and it looks like its not possible to trim this motor up as it did not come with that feature. Here's a link to what I found here on iboats about it.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-outboards/618795-1976-johnson-25hp-trim-lock

Attachments

• photo265975.png
    photo265975.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265976.jpg
    photo265976.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What do mean by 'trim up'"? Tilting the engine up when beaching? Changing the angle of attack of the propeller?
Are you saying the tilt lock can't be released to tilt the engine up?
The only way to get power tilt/trim on that engine is to use an aftermarket transom mount like the CNC

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What do mean by 'trim up'"? Tilting the engine up when beaching? Changing the angle of attack of the propeller?
Are you saying the tilt lock can't be released to tilt the engine up?
The only way to get power tilt/trim on that engine is to use an aftermarket transom mount like the CNC

Tilting the motor up when beaching or tying off to a mooring bouy. I usually camp up in the adks for a week every summer and I prefer to keep the motor tilted up when not in use this way there's no chance of the lower unit hitting the ground.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There is a friction adjustment for keeping the engine up. Don't rely on it for keeping it up while trailering though. Tightening the nut that goes on the bolt #54 will do that. Just make sure one of the transom clamps is loose when you do it.