1975 14' valco repair help, (pics!)

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
so i got this boat at a good deal with a pretty much brand new outboard. anyway there is a couple tiny leaks coming from rivets and the front of the keel. Was wondering what you guys suggest is the best way to fix this? i was thinking of just bucking rivets, or maybe drilling them out and replacing with blind aluminum rivets?

kkvQWBil.jpg

EszbDMol.jpg

eJFHcJul.jpg

yYcDEPCl.jpg

GlFpoNxl.jpg

G7UGwsDl.jpg

2TEELl5l.jpg

Attachments

• photo232403.jpg
    photo232403.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
Re bucking sounds like a great plan Some Gluvit or Coat-it would help seal it also. It would need to be painted after, (not UV tolerant).

If that doesn't solve the problem then Blind rivets with 3M 5200 would be the next step, or new solid rivets.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
i ask about the blind rivets also, because i dont have an air hammer, or an air riveter. But i would buy one if i had to lol

I actually think i want to do it with Sold rivets though, so im looking at buying this gun

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What else will i need? some kind of rivet set im guessing?

What size/type of solid rivet should i use?

How do i repair the keel?

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
If you use blind rivets you need closed end ones. The link you posted would not work.

Depending on how many solid rivets you are dealing with, you can set them with a hammer and a backer plate. I have re bucked using two ballpean hammers.

There are quite a few here that have used the air hammer to set. Hopefully one or two will chime in soon.

You can also do some looking in the Starcraft section to get some ideas on riveting.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...tarcraft-boats

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I can't speak to how well but, yes that gun should work and if you want the whole kit scroll down to the frequently bought together in your link that show the hammer, a bucking bar, and a rivet set set for $88.24.

I'm watching to see if it works out since that would be a steal for solid rivet tool set for as much as I'd use it.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The link to the rivets you post at HF, says blind rivets in the title, but the pictured rivets are not blind rivets and I have not been able to find any blind rivets at HF

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
yea, well I think I'm actually going to do it the correct way so that I hopefully don't have to re do it again in a few years.

What size rivets should i buy? What length? should they be soft or hard aluminum as i have read there are two different kinds.
Was going to wire brush the area before installing the rivets, is this necessary? and should i use 5200 as well with the solid rivets?

Also what size should i drill out the hole compared to what rivet i use? Also read of a guy that just uses a sharp chisel and gets under the heads and breaks them off. How easy do you think this would be?

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
would appreciate if someone could chime in, so i can get what i need ordered and get fishing :)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Best I can do is to tell you that using the chisel method of rivet removal is a good way to deform your hole or possibly lead to tearing the AL. I feel safer drilling them.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
lol i love how everyone on here seems to forget that i asked 3 other questions before my last one... So i guess ill ask again for the third time..

What size rivets should i buy? What length? should they be soft or hard aluminum as i have read there are two different kinds.
Was going to wire brush the area before installing the rivets, is this necessary? and should i use 5200 as well with the solid rivets?

Also what size should i drill out the hole compared to what rivet i use? Also read of a guy that just uses a sharp chisel and gets under the heads and breaks them off. How easy do you think this would be?

64osby

Admiral
The rivets you need would be a match to the size hole on your hull. Only you know that. I have read where a few have drilled a larger hole and used larger rivets then what was originally installed.

The length is determined by hull thickness and the thickness of other layers you are attaching. Only you know that. Pick the rivet with the correct working range.

Cleaning the area is a good idea. The sealant you use (3M 5200 or other) works better if the surface is clean and corrosion free.

Pretty sure the soft rivets are what you are looking for.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
lol i love how everyone on here seems to forget that i asked 3 other questions before my last one... So i guess ill ask again for the third time..

I can tell you that being a smart alec is going to get you no help at all, none of us do this for a living, we offer our help for free, so take it for what you pay for it and do it the way you figure is the best for your situation.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
sorry just used to the forum that i regularly frequent being filled with trolls and having to dig through all the bs and sometimes be that to get to something that is actually useful. extra points to anyone who can guess with that forum is, hint:its subaru related lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
sorry just used to the forum that i regularly frequent being filled with trolls and having to dig through all the bs and sometimes be that to get to something that is actually useful. extra points to anyone who can guess with that forum is, hint:its subaru related lol

Well none of us active users of this system are trolls and there are very knowledgeable people here that can actually help you build a brand new boat if needed, never assume because you have had that experience on another forum, that will be what you experience on here.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Any ideas how to get this black stuff off the hull? Not sure if paint or flex seal. It doesn't feel rubbery which I thought is what flex seal was

64osby

Admiral
eJFHcJul.jpg

The black stuff you are talking about is what is pictured above?

It is covering the whole bottom?

Almost looks like some form of bottom paint?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
eJFHcJul.jpg

The black stuff you are talking about is what is pictured above?

It is covering the whole bottom?

Almost looks like some form of bottom paint?

Boy looking at that picture, I don't know that it could be removed and really don't know why you would want to?