1974 Johnson 50 hp won't idle

Jfj1972

Cadet
1974 Johnson 50hp runs fine at speed just won't idle very well. Also the fast idle lever pops up when putting shifter into neutral. Wondering if that's the idle issue or something else. Btw have cleaned the carbs and replaced coils.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the same engine and it doesn't like to idle well either. Runs great otherwise. Have you replaced the throttle cable? Sounds like it may not be adjusted right if the warm up lever is moving on it's own.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Definitely throttle cable sounds like it is to tight. Have you done a compression test? What are your idle rpms in gear and warm?

Jfj1972

Cadet
Compression test is 130 on both cylinders and rpm at idle in gear is kinda hard to determine because I have to throttle up quick or it will die

Jfj1972

Cadet
Possible update...got the issue with fast idle lever coming up resolved. Thanks! Also possibly have figured out idle issue. After careful examination of carbs it seems the low speed needle "bearing" is missing (little plastic piece that goes on the end of the low speed needle). Could this be the source of idle issue? Won't have parts for a couple days and I'm curious. Thanks.

Jfj1972

Cadet
Finally figured this thing out. It had 2 stuck reed valves. Freed them up and set timing and link and sync and runs and idles perfect.