1974 Johnson 25 HP Shaft Length

JohnAB

Seaman Apprentice
I have the above mentioned motor and for some reason it has a 17 inch shaft length. Is this usual for this year of motor? <br /><br />I am in the market for a new fishing boat and want to use this motor as it runs great etc but most new boats come with either a 15 inch or 20 inch transom and so my problem is do I go with a 15 inch transom and have the anti ventilation plate hanging two inches below the bottom of the boat or can i go to a 20 inch transom and have the plate 3 inches above the bottom of the boat ( personally I do not think that is a good idea being 3 inches higher).<br /><br />Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Johnson 25 HP Shaft Length

You really have two choices.....<br /><br />Go with the 15" transom and raise the engine up two inches and bolt it to the transom, or....<br /><br />Look for another boat with a 16" transom...<br /><br />Apparently you have a short shaft motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Model number? That will tell you the transom it is matched to.<br /><br />The number should look something like this: J25ELXX. If it has the "L" it is for a 20" transom.

JohnAB

Seaman Apprentice

Serial number for the motor is 25E74M. Remeasured the distance from the bottom of the bracket that sits on top of the transom down to the anti ventilation plate and it is 17 inches. Wonder why they used such an odd ball length?