1974 Holiday 16 foot The Beginning

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1974 Holiday 16 foot The Beginning

The transom would flex when you bounced the motor. That is being replace and is the main reason for this makeover.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you pull the transom wood out, you will see the aluminum skin is sort if flimsy without the wood. So with new wood and all the securing hardware, the skin will pull back against the wod. You're going to be fine.

dozerII

Admiral

The transom on my 18 Holiday is bowed almost an inch and a half , the new plywood will just straighten everything out.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

I finally got around to uploading the pictures of the foam under the floor, in all it's glory.
IMAG0462.jpgIMAG0464.jpgIMAG0465.jpg

It's deer hunting season around here so I'm still working on getting it cleaned up. The foam down the middle is so wet it's frozen in about an inch of water to the bottom. That last bit might have to wait until I get a little heat tent built. The floor itself was actually in pretty good shape and I'll be able to use all of it for a template, although I'm hoping to build some kind of a rod locker under the floor and into the bow area so I'll be modifying the floor a little.

One question I have regarding rivets. It wasn't so easy taking the rivets of for the floor. I think maybe I was a bit that was to small. Should the bit be large enough that it actually drills out the shaft of the rivet, or just small enough (fits mostly down the middle of the shaft) to break it loose? Hoping to have the splashwell out soon, but if I have to pull and force that off like I did the floor I'm afraid I'll bend it.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All you have to do is drill the head off with a bit that's the same size or the next size up as the rivet shaft. That's for wood, for drilling the splashwell or other metal on to metal, the same size bit as the shaft. You don't want to enlarge the hole. I drill until the head spins onto the bit. Works for me anyway

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Well, slow progress, with early snow and extremely cold temps outside work is at a standstill. I did bring in the side panels and my son helped me get the old vinyl off. I decided to reuse the side panels since they weren't bad but I did seal them with some Spar Varnish. I did score 8.5 yards of Searay pleated vinyl for 78 bucks including tax. I only need a generous 6 yards but this was all they had and for the price I took it all.
IMAG0490.jpgIMAG0491.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great

If you'd asked for just the 6 it probably wouldn't have been much less anyway. Besides you always want to have extra...............

barato2

Commander

good plan puttin the kiddo to work on it. nothin like pride in the boat from helping build it to assist with an adolescent male's self esteem.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

My son and I finished the side panels.IMAG0508.jpgIMAG0511.jpg

It's been much colder this winter than I had anticipated so progress outside has been slow. Next I'll be bringing in the floor sections and get those cut out. I want to put in a rod locker somehow, just haven't figured that out yet, but time to dig into it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your side panles look really nice, well done:watermelon:

NJRob

Cadet

Looks good! We are in the same boat!

NJRob

Cadet

woops.

Last edited:

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Will this winter ever end! Cripes!

So, I can't work on the boat, but I can start to gather what I need. Regarding Gluvit. I assume a 2lb container is enough for a 16 foot boat when all you're covering is the rivets and seams?

Thanks.

barato2

Commander

should be plenty. it did my 18' hull.

sorry about that winter stuff. time of the year to go to southern Baja. is there any motor work you could do inside while the arctic blasts howl? clean and rebuild control box?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

should be plenty. it did my 18' hull.

sorry about that winter stuff. time of the year to go to southern Baja. is there any motor work you could do inside while the arctic blasts howl? clean and rebuild control box?

Yeah, good time to replace gaskets and water pumps, maybe rebuild the carbs. At least that's what I'm doing to pass the time in this terrible weather. Cool boat, BTW!

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, the 2 pounder it is.

I had the motor and controls redone last year. I didn't get the boat dismantled as much as I had hoped last fall, winter came early around here. Since I'm behind schedule I want to jump on it as soon as I can once it warms up so I'm getting as much as I know I need together over the next couple weeks. I have the floor out so I'll be cutting the new floor over the next couple weeks too, but I'll need to wait on the spar varnish, I did that in the basement with the side panels and the Admiral wasn't happy, not enough ventilation.

Barato the pics of Baja were just cruel :).

barato2

Commander

sorry, senor, it was supposed to be inspiration rather than taunting. i can't be down there fishing either right now, even if my yard has a little less white covering on it than yours.

just thin varnish with xylene, she'll be plenty happy, at least til the buzz wears off. :rolleyes: maybe you could also cut & g;lue your transom if you need to do it? aliphatic resin glue like titebond works fine (i like to pin it with screws, both for addtl clampage and to keep glued halves from "walking" relative to each other as they like to do) and has essentially no fumes.

jbcurt00

Staff member

titebond 3 glue works great, it's what I used to build the knock-down plywood boat in my signature line.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Well, after 18 months of basically no work I'm back underway. It's crazy how family obligations and work get in the way of life.

Update. I decided that I'm going to repower the boat with a newer Mercury motor so I sold the old motor. I've also decided to not get so fancy and just get this thing back in the water and do my best to make it look good. I'll still replace all the fabric, seats and carpet. I'll just touch up the paint, replace lights etc. I'm not going to strip it down, that could be another 3 years!

I finished cleaning out all the foam and plan to scrub the inside and start in on transom removal tonight. I did fill 'er up with water this week and to my surprise no leaks at all. I'll get the Gluvit applied since I have it this weekend too if the transom doesn't give me to many problems.

I've also decided to re-use the old floor. There really isn't anything structurally wrong with the old one and several people have made comments to me that I'm crazy to replace it. So, a quick sand and Spar Varnish will be my goal during the coming week since the weather looks good with no rain so I can do it outside.

Well, here's hoping I can stay focus and get this thing done!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like a plan! I know how you feel, I just passed the five year mark....