1974 Evinrude, 70 HP won't crank

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello folks, I have a 1974 70-HP and it will not start. I've jumped lead to the starter and it engages the flywheel, using a multi-meter and then putting power to the white and black leads of the solenoid, it engages/clicks.
I've disconnected the black/yellow kill switch for testing purposes only. even then it will not crack. I've fiddled with the neutral switch in the control box, no luck.
Could the power pack be bad?
Thank you for any help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Remove and clean the battery cables shiny bright, then re-try. THEN if it doesn't crank, use that multimeter properly. Check the voltage at the two small solenoid posts, one at a time, while turning the key to start. You should get battery voltage on one, but zero on the other one. That means everything is ok up to that point.

Remove and clean the battery cables shiny bright

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Also, pull the starter motor and clean where it mounts to the block

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wont crank, even with the black yellow kill wire removed from the Power pac, it will not crank, turn the key and nothing, no solenoid click. Throttle set on neutral. Could I have a bad power pack? I am using new battery cables, shiny bright. Thanks for the suggestions.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The powerpack has nothing to do with turning the motor over.----Check the fuse near the starter solenoid.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wont crank, even with the black yellow kill wire removed from the Power pac, it will not crank, turn the key and nothing, no solenoid click. Throttle set on neutral. Could I have a bad power pack? I am using new battery cables, shiny bright. Thanks for the suggestions.

Power pack has nothing to do with cranking. Did you clean both ends of the cables? Did you clean the small cable from the starter contactor? Did you clean the mounting surface for the starter?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
not cranking or not... starting ...?

not cranking: apply 12v directly to the selenoid control post... if it cranks find out why your start key is not delivering 12V on the wire to the selenoid

if it does not crank with the selenoid energized apply 12v directly to the starter RED post .. if it cranks ... possibly a bad selenoid or safety switch device

if it does not crank ...bad starter , poor ground

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Rock the remote lever back and forth in the neutral detent while turning the key. Neutral safety switch might be out of alignment.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The fuse passed the continuity check. Leaving off the kill switch did make the motor crank, when I ran a a wire bypassing solenoid, it would crank, so it has to do something with the neutral switch. How do you wire a new neutral switch on the control box? Does the neutral switch on a 1974 control box look like a white plastic puck, with a metal can on one end? Thanks for the help, need to get back in the water.
switch.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, thank you to all who have replied. I was able to disassemble the control box and get to the neutral switch, and once I hled done the button the motor would crank. Now how do I get it to work with the gear selector, because it was pressing down on the button, just not enough. Should I buy a new neutral switch? Also, I have one other problem, I have an extra wire near the power pack. and I do not know where it goes, I'm not sure it is a ground wire, although it is black and a thicker gauge than the rest of the purple wires, etc.

Attachments

• photo290800.jpg
    photo290800.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0