1974 Evinrude 70 hp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
i put some rope in the cylinder to hold the crankshaft still, thats if you dont have a flywheel strap.
The screwdriver in the flywheel teeth unscrupulous technique can damage parts

Decker83

Commander
i put some rope in the cylinder to hold the crankshaft still, thats if you dont have a flywheel strap.
The screwdriver in the flywheel teeth unscrupulous technique can damage parts

Thanks for the good tip.

Decker83

Commander
I have a question for you gentleman. I have a used replacement stator for the motor. The ohm reading on this one is good.
My question is the 2 yellow sensor wires are the same color. I don't see the yellow gray. How critical is the order of the wires to the terminal block?
In my wiring diagram it shows the yellow going with the yellow from the rectifier on the terminal and the yellow gray to the gray that goes to the tack.
Can this make a difference in the way it's hooked up?
How can I tell if they or hooked up wrong?

Also had to buy another timer base. On the second lead had no reading on my ohm test. The new one reads good.
Thanks for your help.
Have a great Friday.. May the eagle fly.:D

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Considering its AC current i would of not thought it matters but of course be aware this is only my best guess

Decker83

Commander
Thanks Bosunsmate. I cut the sleeve back about 1" and found witch wire had the gray on it..

Decker83

Commander
I have a question about the lower unit gear case oil.
What type of oil do I use?
The lower unit has a oil pump in it. It is NOT a electric shift.
Should I use the Premium Blend or Type C? The manual says to use the OMC Sea-Lube gear case lube or Dexron transmission oil.
Thanks for any help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Are you sure theres an oil pump in there? Ive never come across such a thing but ive never owned a pre 1980, where would it pump the oil too?

Decker83

Commander
Here is a pic of the lower unit. I put a red circle around the oil pump. The oil pump supplies the pressure needed for the assist cylinder to shift gears.

100_3859 (Large).JPG

This is why I'm not sure which oil to use. I think it should be the Premium Blend.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Here is another pic showing the assist cylinder..

100_3860 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Interesting, thanks for that, ive never seen one of them, i can imagine why they didnt continue this arrangement.
If no one here knows which oil to use perhaps ring a evinrude dealer to ask

Decker83

Commander
Interesting, thanks for that, ive never seen one of them, i can imagine why they didnt continue this arrangement.
If no one here knows which oil to use perhaps ring a evinrude dealer to ask

Thanks for all your help.

Decker83

Commander
Order a quart of the Hi-Vis and a pump this morning. Thanks for the help.

I have seen a few post here about adding the tell tale to there engines. Mine doesn't have this. Should I add one to this motor?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No Title

Order a quart of the Hi-Vis and a pump this morning. Thanks for the help.

I have seen a few post here about adding the tell tale to there engines. Mine doesn't have this. Should I add one to this motor?
yes definitely. The air your motor sucks in, unavoidable unfortunately, will often sit up the top of the motor and form a big air bubble and hence a patch where no cooling water can reach. This seems to happen most at low rpm conditions. Putting a telltale up there means the air bubbles go up and get pushed out of the motor.

Ive done it to mine, it is a modification i would do first thing if i ever had such a motor again.

Attachments

• photo214878.jpg
    photo214878.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0

Decker83

Commander
The last time I started this motor was in 2007. I got everything hooked back up and put in some fresh gas, hit the key and she fired right up for me.
I still have a problem with the gas tank pickup tube. Need to do the compression check also and a spark test.
I was really glad she fired up so easy.

Bosumsmate, thanks for sharing the pic and info. Found most of the parts here on I-boats for the tell tale.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Good to hear, if you havent mentioned it you will need to do the waterpump too, those dont sit for that long and stay well

Decker83

Commander
Been a few days since my last post.
I did put in a new water pump Bosunsmate.
Used the spark tester today. Only had one coil with a good spark that would jump the 7/16" gap. The lower coil would not show any spark. The middle coil had a weak spark or no spark.
Guess I need to replace a couple of coils this week.
I do have a new battery that spins the motor fast. It will start the motor easily.
Any comments or welcome.

Hope all you fathers had a great Fathers Day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.