1974 Evinrude 25 Slips Out Of Gear

AgTires4295

Seaman
So for the past year or so, my 1974 Evinrude 25 occasionally slips out of gear. Initially, it was only slipping out while under a load in the Forward position. I fixed that by rigging a piece of wire to hold the shifter forward just as a temporary bandaid. Recently, I purchased a set of controls as I am upgrading the boat to a center console. I successfully installed everything properly and plopped the boat in the water today to try it out. Ill admit, I was pretty excited since the boat is my labor of love. I shifted into Forward and off I went. About 15 seconds into plaining out, it slipped out of gear again, RPMs soaring and I was crushed. I thought the controls would keep the shifter in place since there is a lot of resistance in shifting from F-N-R. WELL here's where I'm stumped: I now have no Forward or Reverse. I've dumped a lot of time, money and energy into this old outboard. Is this a familiar occurance with anybody else??

masterbt

Seaman
what is the mdl no. have you checked your shift adjuster to see if it has come loose.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Jumping out of ( forward) gear is probably due to wear of the dog clutch.

If you now cannot engage forward or reverse with the remote control maybe something not set up right with that. Try it again without the remote.