1974 Ebbtide Restoration - SPLASHED

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1974 Ebbtide Restoration

The transom lip you trim 1/2 off is usually under a metal trim strip

Cuts 1 & 4 are only to loosen the cap from the transom, you aren't cutting the exterior surface of the finished gelcoat, or at least as little as possible.

Cuts 2 & 3 are thru the tabbing on the underside of the splashwell, in the seam between the splashwell & the transom. And you try to NOT cut thru the exterior side of the stern transom fiberglass skin.

Running cut #3 diagonally up thru the transom wood. You may or may not be able to connect cuts #3 & 4. That's what the vertical sawzall cut between the inner & outer fiberglass skins is for, joining cuts 3 & 4

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

I may be getting ahead of myself but I figured I would ask the question. I do plane to do some hull work. This mean that I will need to do some gel coating. Life fiberglassing I know nothing about it. Is is possible to roll on the gel coat?
Are there any good resources for reading up on gelcoat?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Several on iboats have rolled the gelcoat on. Some of those decide they'd rather spray it after rolling it on.

Youtube & iboats are both good resources for gelcoat application

Search:

rolling gelcoat

from the resto forum homepage. You should get plenty of hits. It isn't exactly the same as rolling or spraying paint.

Trooper82 & Decker have both recently sprayed gelcoat on the lower hull of their project. There have been others to spray & roll it on.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're wanting to Gelcoat the entire Hull then Spraying will be your best bet. WARNING!!! It's NOT like painting a boat and requires a different skill set and tools. Spot repairs are doable but an entire hull is a challenge for a first timer DIY'er. We have some members that have done excellent jobs but even they had struggles. Just want you to be aware.

mercurymang

So here is where I'm at on the Gelcoating. I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to build quality and structural integrity. But the outside, especially the hull, I'm not so sure that I care about it being perfect. I'm probably only going to be doing touch up on some spots where there is keel damage. At the end of the day, I just want to get on the boat with the wife and have a relaxing evening.
Anyway, it's supposed to be great weather starting tomorrow. I'm gonna head over to HD and pick up a sawsall, a dremel multi max, a tyvek suit and some grinding equipment.

Edit: This guy makes it looks easy

Last edited:

zool

Captain

If youre willing to sand, sand, and umm..sand....and a Barrett Jackson finish isnt in your scope, the just get enough of a mil thickness on it, then fair it smooth...buff it out and enjoy the time on the water with the Admiral :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm that's NOT Gelcoat that's Paint!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Uhmmm that's NOT Gelcoat that's Paint!!!

Yep, click the view @YouTube link & it's listed in the description:
Rolling and tipping Interlux Brightsides Flag Blue paint, thinned with 333, over grey Pre-Kote primer. This is the first coat.

It is a nice looking blue though.... :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

zool

Captain

He does have a nice methodical stroke....too slow for me tho!!!....flag blue can be a bear...

mercurymang

If youre willing to sand, sand, and umm..sand....and a Barrett Jackson finish isnt in your scope, the just get enough of a mil thickness on it, then fair it smooth...buff it out and enjoy the time on the water with the Admiral :)

I really don't mind doing that. It all depends on how much time i have. I would like to my done my May or June.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Again, that is NOT Gelcoat, it's Paint!!!!

mercurymang

Ok, I agree. Gelcoating looks pretty complicated. Not saying I can't do it but it's definitely complicated.

jbcurt00

Staff member

PM Decker & Trooper82, or post to their threads, & ask if they could choose to go back to when they decided to go gelcoat on the hull, if they would, now that they've done it and spent a great deal of time fairing & sanding & recoating then repeat & repeat.

Not to say gel isn't a great choice, but man it wore me out just watching those guys sand & sand & sand.....

zool

Captain

I really don't mind doing that. It all depends on how much time i have. I would like to my done my May or June.

Regardless if you use gel or a PU or LPU, if youre rolling it, the procedure is basically the same, except that gel requires an air inhibiter, and Polyurethane or Linear PU self levels, gel doesnt...the finsh work is the rub...gel is best applied in a female mold, for a smooth finish. If you tint gel to flag blue or whatever, you get a lumpy surface and have to sand, sand, sand....poly's go on as applied, not really sandable. Temps will hinder your schedule.

Last edited:

mercurymang

The admiral says I have to be done by summer.... I'll be done by summer, one way or t'other.

zool

Captain

The admiral says I have to be done by summer.... I'll be done by summer, one way or t'other.

Just tell her she didnt mention which summer :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm very familiar with Ft. Worths weather soooo, tell the Admiral that if Al Gores Global Warming continues to be like it has been the last couple of weeks...You're NOT gunna make it. All the Glass work and other stuff is gunna take a while. If you can work 4 Hours every night and 16 hours every weekend Starting In March when the weather stabilizes and warms a bit, well you MIGHT make it.