1974 Bayliner Skagit

Ristin

Seaman
Found a 22' 1974 Bayliner Skagit with trailer for sale locally. Ad says it runs but needs tune up, some minor repairs, a prop, and tilt motor repaired. Haven't contacted the guy yet since I need some advice on how to tell if the boat is structurally sound. How do I tell if it's rotted besides falling through the floor? Can't tell from the pics what the drivetrain is. The 350 v-8 is painted red and the out drive is white. Interior doesn't look horrible in the pics. Asking $1000 or obo. Thought this might have potential as a winter project so I'd have a bigger boat for next season. I'm ok with mechanical & electrical but wood/fiberglass is outside my wheelhouse. I have a boat so I can walk away from this easily if it's to much project.
I'm a fan of old International trucks and over the years I've learned to assume the project truck will always be 75% worse than the seller description.
Thnaks

Alumarine

Captain
If wood/fiberglass is outside your wheelhouse you should pass.
That and the fact it sounds like it has an obsolete OMC drive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its a 44 year old boat........ Its going to need wood and fiberglass work

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It really sounds like a hole in the water which you pour money into. I run into plenty of folks that find a low priced boat only to find that they need to put thousands into it to get it to get on the water. Like a pal that insisted in paying $700.00 for a 30 year old runabout only to find parts needed is around $2000.00 and he will need to pay someone to do it for him and that's not addressing the rotten transom and floor. Especially those new to boating. Unless you are very handy in wood and fibreglass as marc c said and have 5 grand for materials and a rebuilt engine I would walk away, no run away. People will say the trailer is worth what they paid for it. A 30 year old trailer isn't worth much today.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The seller should be paying you a disposal fee to get rid of it for him.

Ristin

Seaman
In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, " how hard can it be".....
Thanks for putting the brakes on this idea and I'm glad the buyer for my truck backed out otherwise I would have dove into this thinking I could win.
Started reading some restoration threads here and watched a You Tube video about a boat purchase gone really wrong.
Until now I didn't know how over my head I could've gotten.
Whew.