1974 AMF Slickcraft SS215

kafernator

Cadet
Hi,

I am starting the restore of this boat. Lucky for the boat I am an avid DIYer and love a challenge. Found this boat on Craigslist and got a great deal. It does have rott under the motor stringers and a wet transom. It looks like it sat for way to long and was not covered properly. The canvas boat covers started giving way around the zippers. Lots of corrosion to deal with and sand. Hoping to get it bring it back to life by this spring. I will upload as many pics as possible along the way and will be asking lots of questions. Starting with the "easy" cosmetic stuff as this is still boating season and we want to use it sparingly a few more times. IMG_4832.jpgIMG_4833.jpgDSCF2157.jpgDSCF2158.jpgDSCF2159.jpgIMG_4832.jpgIMG_4833.jpgDSCF2157.jpgDSCF2158.jpgDSCF2159.jpg

kafernator

Cadet
Re: 1974 AMF Slickcraft SS215

Initial boat pic.jpgInterior.jpgInitial boat pic 2.jpgInitial boat pic.jpgInterior.jpgInitial boat pic 2.jpg
Hi,

I am starting the restore of this boat. Lucky for the boat I am an avid DIYer and love a challenge. Found this boat on Craigslist and got a great deal. It does have rott under the motor stringers and a wet transom. It looks like it sat for way to long and was not covered properly. The canvas boat covers started giving way around the zippers. Lots of corrosion to deal with and sand. Hoping to get it bring it back to life by this spring. I will upload as many pics as possible along the way and will be asking lots of questions. Starting with the "easy" cosmetic stuff as this is still boating season and we want to use it sparingly a few more times. View attachment 158911View attachment 158912View attachment 158913View attachment 158914View attachment 158915View attachment 158911View attachment 158912View attachment 158913View attachment 158914View attachment 158915

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off, welcome to IBoats and 'the Drydock' !!!!
that is a pretty cool looking boat.

please read this thread on posting photos (we love photos) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=410147

based on the height of the bottom paint, she looks like she was sitting pretty low in the water. Sometimes this is a sign of saturated foam adding alot of weight.

have you had a chance to do any sampling on the transom, deck or stringers??

kafernator

Cadet

First off, welcome to IBoats and 'the Drydock' !!!!
that is a pretty cool looking boat.

please read this thread on posting photos (we love photos) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=410147

based on the height of the bottom paint, she looks like she was sitting pretty low in the water. Sometimes this is a sign of saturated foam adding alot of weight.

have you had a chance to do any sampling on the transom, deck or stringers??

The PO actually spray painted the bottom of the boat for cosmetic reasons, so the line could be a little deceptive. I am not the expert. I know from researching that not only are the engine mounts bad, but the stringers under it also probably. And if I'm going to do all that work, I might as well make sure it's better than new. I do feel the boat is heavy like you said, it could be wet foam. This weekend, I will get in there and start doing some drilling. I do know the transom is wet from drilling a pilot hole for a depth sounder. It is 100 degrees in MI today. That's not quite the norm for us here!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

believe me, i know about the temps...we recently broke an all time record for us here with 9 days in a row with triple digits....absolutely miserable

kafernator

Cadet

Hello, This is my first question. The back third of the boat is rotten (transom and floor). It looks like from the end of the gas tank back. There is a plywood floor with a deck on top. My question is does one normally just slice thru this deck and repair it later? Is there a way to repair it? So far this deck floor looks like it is separate from the cap of the boat. It looks nice, which is why I would want to keep it. Getting the whole thing up and out of the boat in one piece is going to be quite a challenge. I'm sure it's glassed in well. What are your thoughts on this?IMG_4852.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4843.jpg
    IMG_4843.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4845.jpg
    IMG_4845.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

kafernator

Cadet

More pics...

IMG_4843.jpg

Rotten engine mount, back half of the block is gone...that's actually the stringer on the right.

kafernator

Cadet

OK...I figured it out. I need to use a non skid gel coat for the new floor above the plywood treated with expoxy. I can cut the floor out with a circular saw. Will post when I get to this point.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i think your best plan, to be safest, is to cut the deck out in pieces, remove any wet foam and any rotten stringers or supports. typically do not want to splice new and old stringers together.

kafernator

Cadet

Ok...it's the little victories. I got the horn to work! LOL...now for the radio and motor on the spotlight. Sorry, this is going to be a slow renovation it looks like.

kafernator

Cadet

Starting on the windshield removal this weekend. The recent rain activity (thank you Mother Nature!) has revealed how badly it leaks....down into the cuddy...to the wet spot I found in the floor...to the opening that leads back under the deck that was delaminated...to the wet wood that I found there. I'm also going to mention now that this area was neatly covered up by the carpet and I had no idea that was under there. It is most likely rotten and I will get under there and start ripping out the deck if time permits this weekend after I figure out the windshield. The screws for this going into the cabin, broke off with my socket wrench. It should be a fun time figuring it out and getting it back together.

kafernator

Cadet

One more question...the windshield has a combination of windows in front. The 2 lower ones are made to vent. These were permanantly caulked shut with some black caulk. I would like to make them be able to open again. The 2 large upper ones are have nothing sealing them at the bottom against the frame. They do seem to have a rubber seal on the sides. What is the best method to reseal them so this stays consistent? If I use a rubber seal for the 2 lower units, what would be my best options. The existing side seal is in a "U" shape it looks like.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that "U" shape is used quite often in boats and can be found many places online

kafernator

Cadet

Looks like this project has been put on hold...meant to update this earlier...but couldn't log in. Found a huge roof issue that needs to be fixed on our house. I thought it was a bit ironic that it was rotten. For now, the boat has been winterized for the winter and will get a fresh start in the spring. I did find someone that works at Tiara that will help with the restore. He has all the tools and the big barn to get this done. I will continue to get pics of what we find, but right now...that will be closer to spring.