1974 50 Horsepower Evinrude Won't Idle

vegasvinnie

Cadet
I bought a 1986 GlassMaster with a 1974 50 hp Evinrude. The guy showed me it running and didn't think about it but he tapped the warm up lever down til it got to an idle and continued to put the boat in forwards and reverse. I tried putting the boat in the water yesterday and it wouldn't idle for me. I have the manual for the engine but I'm confused on the idle problem. The manual says there is a low speed idle adjustment on the top of the carburetor that is covered by a plug. Is there a recommendation on getting the plug out without damaging anything? The book even said something about synchronizing adjustments. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
You should be able to adjust the idle needle valve if you take off then engine cover. Go ahead and screw them out a quarter turn at a time and see if that helps ya. You might want to start from scratch and screw them in all the way and then take them to default. Usually two or so turns out.

vegasvinnie

Cadet
I tried what you said and the engine runs true but won't idle. I think the low idle screw is underneath a plug on the top of the carburator but not for certain. The book is a little confusing because the book is for a few different engines