1974 18' IMP Ford 302 Mercruiser fuel line solinoid opening?

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This boat has sat for three years. I have removed the old gas and put in fresh gas in both side tanks, but the engine does not seem to be getting enough fuel. There are two inline electric valves (one for each side tank) on the fuel lines controlled by a flip switch. The lines then join a "T" for a single line to the fuel filter. Do the 12v in-line solinoid valves remain closed until switched on? How can you tell if they are opening without disassembly? Or should I remove them for testing and cleaning? I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and it was dry. I hear a "click" at the tanks as I flip the switch from port to starboard (for the level indicator?). Do these valves go bad?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1974 18' IMP Ford 302 Mercruiser fuel line solinoid opening?

This boat has sat for three years. I have removed the old gas and put in fresh gas in both side tanks, but the engine does not seem to be getting enough fuel. There are two inline electric valves (one for each side tank) on the fuel lines controlled by a flip switch. The lines then join a "T" for a single line to the fuel filter. Do the 12v in-line solinoid valves remain closed until switched on? How can you tell if they are opening without disassembly? Or should I remove them for testing and cleaning? I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and it was dry. I hear a "click" at the tanks as I flip the switch from port to starboard (for the level indicator?). Do these valves go bad?

Ayuh,... By-pass 'em for Testin',.... Clean 'em if necessary,...

Those aren't a Mercruiser thing, so I'll move this for ya,...

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1974 18' IMP Ford 302 Mercruiser fuel line solinoid opening?

Thanks Bondo