1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

man i swear this paint gets shinier and shineir the more it sits

mytquinn

Cadet

Wow! That looks really sweet! I kinda like the white on the bottom. I think black would be too much contrast. Great job!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks, i'm thinking white also...

have 2nd coat of color on the sides....

98ff33ab.jpg

fc8d4754.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

quick question....

has anybody every used Interlux Pre-Kote (primer) and then covered it with Pettit EasyPoxy topcoat???

I originally bought EasyPoxy Primer and Paint (gallon of primer, gallon of yellow paint and gallon of white paint)

we changed our mind on the shade of yellow, so we returned the gallon of primer and yellow paint, and picked up a gallon of Interlux pre-kote and a gallon of Brightsides yellow..

the entire hull is primer-ed with Interlux pre-kote. I have the Interlux Brightsides now on the sides, but now that we are thinking painting the very bottom of the hull white, but the only white i have is the Pettit Easypoxy white (which is for the cap and hardtop, but will have plenty of extra)

your thoughts???

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
I can't help with the paint question but I wanted to stop by a see the progress.
It's really looking good, I like the color combo you decided on too. That said your photoshop boat looks great too.
Keep up the good work.
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...SWMBO says to make the bottom white....but i haven't told her they we may have to buy some white paint...just not sure how the Pettit EasyPoxy topsides white will last against Interlux Pre-Kote primer....but gut feeling says it will be okay...just not sure...

as soon as we got the bottom painted, and one more coat on the sides, i can set this beast back on it's trailer and really get started on the cap and the interior!!!!

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a awesome job! I really like the yellow/white pattern.

Maybe check the MSDS for both paints and see if there is a major difference in the chemistry? I would err on the side of caution and get Interlux for the bottom, just so you dont worry about doing it again!

Amazing work!
Terry

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...from Interlux's site:
Prekote? is a unique V.O.C. compliant, single package, under coater for use with Brightside? Polyurethane, Toplac, Yacht Enamels or any one-part topside finish....

hmm...easypoxy is a one-part topside finish...

Cptkid570

Ensign

I just wanted to compliment on how great that yellow looks! You are doing a great job. Tell us more about your process of applying the paint. I know you said that you are rolling and tipping, but have you developed any particular technique that you feel is working best?

Also, I like the idea of white on the bottom.. If you go yellow or black, if you beach it and scratch the paint a little, then the while gelcoat would show through. So, white bottom will hide little scratches or dings better.

You could probably call the customer service dept of both paint companies and see what they say.. I'm guessing that both topcoats are pretty much the same and would work fine with whichever primer.. but, both companies will probably be 'politically correct' and say that their paint works best with their primer (even though their primers are probably the same basic chemical make up too)

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

started sanding that 2nd coat of color tonight....starting with a light sanding of 150....then wet sand with 320....

plan is to put 3rd (and hopefully final) coat of color on tomorrow...supposed to be sunny and upper 80's tomorrow..

if all goes well, i might get the 1st coat of white on the bottom also...

keep fingers crossed

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the encouragement fellas...at this point, i'm trying not to rush the paint job, but the paint job is what's holding me up from doing the rest of the interior and top. Don't want to work on the other stuff until she is sitting back on her trailer...much more stable on there as compared to sitting up on blocks

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no paint going on the sides this evening....too humid out..... :mad:

guess i'll do some sanding on the bottom....saturday is suppose to be perfect...may get all the hull painting done then...

kinda in a stall pattern until the hull is done. of course, i still have a couple seats to sew.....

sand vs. sew ......hmmmm....tough call

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
For me that would be a tough call. I don't think I like either but at least with the sewing you can stay in the A/C.
The paint is really looking good.
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

with the current forecast...it looks like we may be laying the final coat of paint on tonight, and possibly the first coat on the bottom....

come on weatherman....we need some dry , warm days !!!!!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...weatherman said the storms were staying towards the north....so i decided to start on the 3rd coat of color...sunshining, about 70 degrees, low humidity....

well....i should have known better to trust the weathermen here....t-storms and tornadoes....

i'm almost afraid to see what it has done with my paint job...just as i got one side coated....the sky opens up with a loud crack of lightening and thunder,,,,a few minutes later....rain and wind...

i have a feeling i'll be putting on a 4th coat of color....after more sanding of course

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
Bummer on the weather and your paint. Hopefully it didn't get messed up to much.
Take care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, the rain made the paint "sag" ???

so out came the sandpaper again....sanded down with 150...then made my way up to 320 wet/dry again.....

will it ever end????

after a thorough washing and drying....put the 3rd coat of color on...

doesn't look too bad....but it is getting a 4th coat tomorrow since i got a little agressive with the sanding....

de0d3f95.jpg

7e4d9417.jpg