1973 Merc 500 shifter

Chief847

Cadet
Well I've got my water pump replace and while going back together I didn't get the splines lined up on the shift linkage. Long story short I bent the shifter rod and now it wont line up to the lower unit. I looked at the shaft and can see a small pin on the top of the shift which attaches to the upper shift linkage in the power head. How do I get that little pin out. It looks like its pressed in and the only may be to drill it out. If that's the case it looks like I will have to remove the carbs and everything else to get inside there. Does anyone have a trick on how to get the shaft out or how to straighten it back out while still attached. I've tried pry bars to straighten it but with not much luck.

merc850

Commander
That pin is pressed into fitting, you'll have to pull the whole shaft out. If removing the carbs and flywheel will let it come out then that's the easy way, otherwise you'll have to pull the power head, pick up a gasket first for this method

Last edited:

Chief847

Cadet
That's what I'm afraid of. I didn't know if there was any special tricks. Looks like I will be finding away to bend the shaft back while its in the motor.

Chief847

Cadet
Do you feel I could drill that small pin out then drop the shaft. I would mark the shaft before I drop it to make sure it keeps the same position. Once dropped I could straighten it out then place it back in. Then use a cotter pin or small rivet to hold it back in place?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you sure the shift shaft is bent and the shaft wasn't just misaligned when the lower unit was installed? The upper shift shaft is pretty stout.

Chief847

Cadet
From the ones ive seen on line for sale mines bent as the ones ive seen are straight. Mine appears to be bend about 1/2" above the splines on the bottom part where it attaches into the bottom end. It all worked fine until I took it apart for the 3rd time. When I had it out this last time the black plastic piece that locks into the bottom part of the motor fell out. I put it in worng then bolted it back together and then it wouldn't shift. Took apart and found the shaft had a bend in it.

Chief847

Cadet
Okay little update I was able to get the shaft bent back while still in the motor. Got everything put back together and seems to run fine. Hopefully I hit the water first of the week and see how she does.