1973 Crestliner Crusader

Jammer67

Cadet
My in-laws have given me this boat to tinker with. The boat ran last year until my father inlaw says the motor (302 Ford) had a melt down. He replaced the block with a good used 302 Ford (out of an old truck) but never got the new motor running or all of the parts assembled (exhaust manifold etc)<br />Questions:<br />-I am a mechanic (aircraft and auto) by trade so I should have the tools and mechanical knowledge to do most of the repairs (right?)<br />-Can a 302 ford auto motor be used in a boat?? Maybe a greenhorn question but you never know.<br />-does this boat need a waterpump on the moter? I have seen pictures of inboards with and without water pumps<br /><br />Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: 1973 Crestliner Crusader

hey great motors unreal performance and quality, yeas u can use a car engine block but switch out the cam for a marine. Marine camshafts are what make up a marine engine from a automotive engine (excluding exhaust manifold etc) but you get the point.. Good luck!!!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

to run a car engine in a marine engine you need to change the cam to get a better torque curve and also need to replace the head gaskets and install brass freeze plugs if it is fresh water cooled or they will corrode and cause more problems

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I have been told, you also need different electronics, alternator, starter, distributor, coil, I'm sure I'm leaving some out. Most could come off the old engine. I just got a Seloc repair manual for my inboard, first I ever owned, so I wanted to learn about it. Always been an outboard man, but the new 4 cycles are too spendy for my blood.