1973 chrysler 35hp tune up!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse3507

Cadet
First off hello fellow boaters this is my first post. I recently came upon a 1973 chrysler 35hp model 355HF serial 4138. For the life of me I can't find parts anywhere!!! I have searched the forums and found little information. I am in need of a tune up kit, condensers/points and 2 new coils. Now with the coils I have heard I can go to napa and get one that will suffice? If anyone one has part numbers or knows where I can get this stuff I would greatly appreciate the info.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There's a place in Michigan.
Valley Sales in Prudenville.
He should have the parts you need.

There is a way to use an automotive coil.

Someone here will add that info.
I've never done it??

​Most times the points can be cleaned with a pints file or sandpaper.
The coils: if they are cracked?
They still might work?? Just coat them in liquid rubber.

wickware

Lieutenant
No Title

Is the distributor attached like yours? This is on my 1970 35HP, Chrysler I purchased in 1984. I replaced my points once about 1985 (due to Old School or VW Habits) and have only dressed them with a point file or emery cloth since (when needed from sluggish acceleration). My bigger problem was adding too much oil to the Points Cam Wicks and oil vapor contaminated my points.

You can see I nicked one coil pulling the flywheel (with long screws), which has not been a problem. This has been a low maintenance dependable motor fishing approx. 8 trips per summer "Only".

Attachments

• photo53771.jpg
    photo53771.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
Normaly the coils last for a very long time and not go bad. BUT if you wire up the harness wrong you can fried them.

Points also will last for a very long time, just clean them up and a good thing to do for maintain is to put a little amount of grease at the camcurve.
If not, the points lever that runs at the cam will wear down and the gap will be to close.
You can regap again BUT at last the lever will be to wear soo the sync between the points, camcurve and the magnets in the flywheel will be out.

You can not use an automotive coil to this engine. The 35Hp did not came with battery ignition system, they just came with magneto ignition.

I would suggest you to clean up the points and regap them. If that not solve the issue try to buy new condensers because they grow old.

Looks like the tune up kit is NA, also the points and condensers are NA.

Check Ebay and Franz Marine for parts.

Jesse3507

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice! I will post pictures this weekend of the motor and components. Cause I do believe something may be fried from the previous owner.

Jesse3507

Cadet
well I cant seem to post any pictures it keeps saying invalid file data...but I got the flywheel off and it looks exactly like yours wickware except my coils are black. looks pretty dirty and I turned the prop to check for point gap. Nedless to say it was way off, so I'm going to do some cleaning and some adjustments and see if it does any good. Franz Marine offers both points/condenser tune up for $80 and coils for 156 a piece.:grumpy:

Nordin

Commander
Well I think you have to have five posts then you are able to attach pics.

Franz is a very good sourse for use with Chrysler/Force engines. He has everything that are available, expensive ..... yes but he has parts that are NA.

Clean up everything at the timingplate, coils, points, condensers and terminals. Gap the points to 020 and try from there.

If it runs then consider if you intend to keep the engine. A spare of points and condensers maybe will be worth 80 bucks.
With new point and condensers the engine will last for a very long time.

Or check out Ebay for points and condensers, you will get a better price there but you maybe have to wait until they shows up.

BTW
When you put the flywheel back, check the crank tap and the flywheel tap. If they have score, lap it with valve grinding compound and the most imported thing
torque the nut to right value.
IF not you will share the flywheel key and score the taps.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look around for the coils??

Like I suggested before.
​If they spark?? Just dunk them in liquid plastic.

wickware

Lieutenant
I feel you will find coils and Etc at a reasonable price. I also believe there is some Reasonable Technology out there that will improve you ignition system.

Such as in the 70s Briggs small lawnmower engines were eating my lunch. Due to oil contaminated points from oil blow-by past seals on the old engines. I found a Briggs Electronic Kit that replaced the points that I used approx 10 years.

Today I can visualize an electronic kit that will replace your coils and points. BUT! I feel if there is a Kit Nordin would have mentioned it. My question is when did the engines transition to Electronic Ignitions and will they cross over to the older engines??? This Could Be A Dream To Many. LOL!!!

Jesse3507

Cadet
No Title

Ok so I have a question. I found this coil for a 1975 chrysler 35hp, can someone tell me will this work for my 1973 35hp if the center hole is the same size? If not please explain why cause I am confused.

Attachments

• photo259948.png
    photo259948.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 0

oldtelemarker

Recruit
Hi Lieutenant Wickware (and Forum Members) Would the Lieutenant possibly have a part number for the coils pictured in his response in March 2017 showing his 1970 Chrysler 35 hp motor under the flywheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.